Shimano RS80 50mm clincher

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Noticed that there's a pretty good offer on these on the Planet X site. Anyone had any experience of them? They're quite heavy, so probably not ideal for fat climbers like me, but still, they look pretty cool... Equally, any advice on a decent set of wheels for around £300ish. (Not commuting wheels btw).

I'm 83kg, and will use them for training rides and sportives.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    You might be better putting this in Road Buying Advice.

£300... handbuilts on Open Pro?
  • london-red
    Yep, you're probably right. I tend only to post here and the sportive thread nowadays though. I'm a creature of habit...
  • Pro-Lite Bracciano, lovely wheels.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    One of my mates has a pair. He's very happy with them and he has ridden them in pretty much all weather conditions without any drama - they seem bomb proof.

Personally I think you would struggle to notice the weight difference between something like those and a slightly lighter (but much more expensive) Zipp 404 for example so if you are in the market for 50mm clinchers then these are a pretty sound investment (assuming you are ignoring the lighter weight planet x carbon clinchers for £400)? I also think that given your use requirements you won't notice much of an aero benefit so you may well be better off opting for a set of something like these and saving £200:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPSHRS80CA/shimano_rs80_c24_carbon_wheelset_(pair)

Edit - just noticed the PX 52mm wheels aren't any lighter - still cheaper though.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • london-red
    Pro-Lite Bracciano, lovely wheels.

thanks - i'll look at those.

The RS80 low-profile wheels are sold out - I prob would have gone for those actually.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    London-Red wrote:
    The RS80 low-profile wheels are sold out - I prob would have gone for those actually.

Depending on how quickly you want them its worth dropping them an email as they get new stock pretty regularly.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • london-red
    mrc1 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Depending on how quickly you want them its worth dropping them an email as they get new stock pretty regularly.

Thanks, I've requested a stock alert.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm a "fat climber" (112kgs) no experience of RS80 but I did have a pair of RS20s. Felt great and quick but in reality they where flexing a lot under my load and I was loosing power as a result. Plus after 6 month cracks formed around the spoken holes in the rear rim. This was a lesson for me in getting the right tool for the job, and for me a rear wheel with only 20 spokes for the wrong tool. Plus if you are spending that kind of money talk to a good wheel builder first. Harry Rowland is my recommendation, I'm happy with my wheels from him.

Edit: just noticed your approx 80kgs, so guessing you won't have the same problems.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    For £300 you can have a pair of Hope Pro 3 RS Monos, just like me. I know how much you love the sound of my freehubs......

Seriously though, open pro rims, 32 spokes and mtb derived hubs for the worst of British weather. Absolutely bomb proof.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • london-red
    Asprilla wrote:
    I know how much you love the sound of my freehubs......

It did wake me up in the morning, and scare the dear at the same time, so not all bad.

Open Pros with 32 spokes don't sound bling. Tart? Moi?
  • london-red
    Sketchley wrote:
    Plus if you are spending that kind of money talk to a good wheel builder first. Harry Rowland is my recommendation, I'm happy with my wheels from him.

Cheers - I've never tried this route, but only because I have to think too much. Maybe it's time.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Can't wait to get my RS80s C24s back out of their bags, come on summer!

Highly recommend but don't skimp; go lightweight on tubes and tyres to feel the biggest difference.
  • I've got the RS80 C50, the Dura-Ace C24, the Braccianos and a pair of handbuilt wheels with similar specs to those recommended previously and I have had very little issues with any of them.

The cone nuts on the Braccianos tend to unwind easily whenever I swap cassettes. And the alloy rim edge on the C24 and C50 is half the width of a more regular wheel and is easily bent if you hit a pot hole.

For commuting and Winter I'd go for the handbuilt. For race/sportive training use the Braccianos. To make your bike look good and for not-too-hilly road races go for the deep section. For Alpine sportives got for the C24.