First time ever mountain biking on Tuesday night.

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Ordered a new MTB on Wednesday morning. I need help.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You do.

It's sh!t.

:P
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    (Whispers) It's a good laugh...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ordered a new MTB on Wednesday morning. I need help.

Welcome to proper cycling :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Definitely very good fun. We were hurtling around Glentress in the pitch black. Very, very good fun indeed.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Done Glentress in the dark a few times, brilliant fun. Except when you take off into the trees and switch your FIRST light off instead of your SECOND light on. It REALLY was pitch dark, but a tree came to my "rescue". Quick trip to A&E at Galasiels for some stitches. Great fun.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i went a few times to llandegla a few times for night rides last summer

its bleeding scary with no lights - its that dark you cant see your hands in front of your face. you can see the sky though

loadsa fun
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    MTBing is great craic. Got one last summer for pootling around with the kids on some of NIs new trails.

The club started up a section for off roading, focused mainly on the kids racing at the Ulster Cyclocross an XC MTB series.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    I'll get shot for saying this on here, but it's more fun than cycling on tarmac :-) Congratulations and welcome to the Dark Side.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Indeed, I like mountain biking it's a lot of fun. Must go to Swinley soon.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So, this is where all the cool kids are hanging out then? :D

Good work UE, I really want to get up to Scotchland some time this year.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    So, this is where all the cool kids are hanging out then? :D

Good work UE, I really want to get up to Scotchland some time this year.

Glentress really does seem to be a superb facility. Not that I have much to compare it against, of course.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Puffer 2013???
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Check out Mountain Bike Glasgow Meet up Group, we regulalrly have outings to Glentress, Drumlanrig, Dalbeattie etc....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Check out Mountain Bike Glasgow Meet up Group, we regulalrly have outings to Glentress, Drumlanrig, Dalbeattie etc....
    And all of them with just one last hill.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I do quite like the idea of some MTBing, and it seems good justification for another bike.
    What's around SW London.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    I do quite like the idea of some MTBing, and it seems good justification for another bike.
    What's around SW London.

Balham Hill, though you'd be better off with crampons and a rope.
  • Check out Mountain Bike Glasgow Meet up Group, we regulalrly have outings to Glentress, Drumlanrig, Dalbeattie etc....

It's a thought. Might take you up on that sometime.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    What's around SW London.

Balham Hill, though you'd be better off with crampons and a rope.
    I live at the summit but the chair lift doesn't operate at the weekends so how would I ever get back home after the downhill?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Anyway, back to the real issue - what did you order?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anyway, back to the real issue - what did you order?

Good point. It's a BeOne Karma Race...

photo_be-one-bikes-karma-race_1682.jpg

I like my current BeOne a lot, and this looks a bargain.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59240
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    dhope wrote:
    What's around SW London.
    Surrey Hills/North Downs or Swinley Forest at Bracknell. In the summer I sometimes bunk off work early and go to Swinley. Chuck the MTB in the back of a colleagues car. Richmond Park bike path is not really off road and has far too many people on it unless you get there really early.
  • dhope wrote:
    What's around SW London.

in london Tamsin trail in Richmound Park or Esher Woods with both it's using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

so most head to Swinley or North Downs neither are terribly tecnical and are fairly and squarely XC MTBing. Both are fun but it's best to ignore lables of downhill runs etc.

i tend to go to swinley as i can go from my house to the trails in 30mins north downs is longer and so begs the question why? when there are other places for the same time.