Winter Gloves

noob86
noob86 Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I'm new to road riding and finding my current gloves very cold at the moment. Could anyone recommended some that will keep my hands warm/dry for the next couple of months? preferably some that aren't massive so I can still work the brakes/gears easy enough

Thanks

Comments

  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-ultimate-winter-cycling-gloves-2009/
    They're a couple of years old now and still going strong. They're thinner than I would expect for a winter glove, but very warm !! Mine are the 2009 version as per te link above, but I think that the links below are the latest version, I really can't recommend them highly enough.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pro-Ultimate-Winter-Windproof-Gloves_41713.htm

    here you go, even cheaper here !!!
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/19107/Pro-Ultimate-Winter-Gloves---Windproof.html

    In fact, the new ones look like they're an improvement over mine. The only short comming of my version is that there isn't a snot wipe on the thumb. I guess I'll have to buy a new pair !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Got myself a pair of Gore Countdown recently, a bit pricey but real quality. Nice dry and warm and not too bulky, still able to have control of gearing etc... A cheaper option is to get some silk glove liners for underneath another pair of gloves, does make a difference having that extra layer.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,565
    I got some of the Endura Equipe spring/Autumn ones which are like a slightly thicker XC glove. I'm really impressed so far, but note they are not Warm gloves, just warmer...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sealskinz Extreme if its actually frosty on the ground.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,261
    I'll second Matt's recommendation for the Pro Ultimate's. They are the best gloves I've owned, keep my hands really warm on the coldest of days and are thin enough to allow operating the gears and brakes easily enough (i can just about manage the buttons on my computer whilst wearing them too).
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Pearl Izumi Cyclone
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I bought my wife a pair of the Sealskin Waterproof ones. After I borrowed them and came off big time they became my winter gloves. I find them ok although ever so slightly small. If I had the right sized gloves they would be ideal.

    They are also bright red but then again I didn't buy them for me.

    Alternatively let your hands get very cold then climb back into bed with the missus after an early Saturday morning ride. The effect can be quite explosive :lol:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Pross wrote:
    I'll second Matt's recommendation for the Pro Ultimate's. They are the best gloves I've owned, keep my hands really warm on the coldest of days and are thin enough to allow operating the gears and brakes easily enough (i can just about manage the buttons on my computer whilst wearing them too).

    They work fine with my Edge800 :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • noob86
    noob86 Posts: 3
    Hi all,

    Thanks for he advice. I like the look of the pro ultimate and around what I was willing to spend, can't seem to find any informant regarding size, are they on the small/big side for gloves? Seems to have the 2010 version at rubble cheap but only if I can fit into a medium (ive got medium altura gloves which fit fine but large gore gloves)

    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    All good stuff, and I have a pair of Pro gloves for very cold days. However keep a look out for Aldi cycling gear. No lie, they do an excellent pair of gloves, warm not waterproof, but only £4.99!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    noob86 wrote:
    Hi all,

    Thanks for he advice. I like the look of the pro ultimate and around what I was willing to spend, can't seem to find any informant regarding size, are they on the small/big side for gloves? Seems to have the 2010 version at rubble cheap but only if I can fit into a medium (ive got medium altura gloves which fit fine but large gore gloves)

    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... Googlebase

    I've got pretty large hands and have the following:
    PRO Ultimates - XL
    Gore Retro Tech Mitts - XL
    Endura FS260 Mitts - XL
    661 Storm Force - XL (these come up a marginally small on me)
    A couple of pairs of Sombrio long finger gloves both in XL

    There's a bit of a pattern here :D

    My gore gloves are my favourite and I'd say are also the closest fit. If you've got Gore's in large, then go for the PRO in large. You'll probably find that the PROs are slightly slimmer in the finger, but nothing that you'll notice once on the bike.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • noob86
    noob86 Posts: 3
    cheers matt, i'll go large
  • Got some Endura windproof which are pretty good, but bought a pair of Planet x at the weekend, not as good but for £5 its a steal they will do when its not freezing
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    bit of a thread hijack :lol: im also looking for winter gloves as well,i have really cold hands and heat retention is the main factor ,,however waterproof is a must as well as i commute and it can b a bit ,,er,,,changeable ,,,iv been told that lobster type gloves are where its at ,,the pearl izumi ones are nice and they are reduced just now ,,but waterproof ,,im not sure ,are they warm enough as well,,same for the tenn outdoors ones ,,maybe warm but not waterproof,,im actually considering a pair of ex army type mitts but tb h they dont look the best ,,i lose gloves all the time so i dont want an expensive pair that im paranoid about ,,15£ seems to b about the right price just now and i can cope with that,,any comments peeps
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    jim55 wrote:
    bit of a thread hijack :lol: im also looking for winter gloves as well,i have really cold hands and heat retention is the main factor ,,however waterproof is a must as well as i commute and it can b a bit ,,er,,,changeable ,,,iv been told that lobster type gloves are where its at ,,the pearl izumi ones are nice and they are reduced just now ,,but waterproof ,,im not sure ,are they warm enough as well,,same for the tenn outdoors ones ,,maybe warm but not waterproof,,im actually considering a pair of ex army type mitts but tb h they dont look the best ,,i lose gloves all the time so i dont want an expensive pair that im paranoid about ,,15£ seems to b about the right price just now and i can cope with that,,any comments peeps

    Are you commuting on a flat or drop bar bike ? Maybe get something like these to keep the wind and rain out, then you can wear what ever gloves you want underneath. If bike specific ones look a little pricey, have a look at kayaking gloves, they're pretty much the same.

    Just google handle bar gloves.

    bar-mitts-mtncommuterblack-osfa_d2d8170541c642361daac2a8fac83de9.jpg
    bar-mitts-campysramdablack_04949e14d29b220441957c1322becfb6.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Endura Deluge Gloves, they are the best waterproof/winter warmers ive ever had. Fantastic.
    "You riding or Hiding", Stupid question!
    "I'll get my bike"