2012 - can I go all year without falling off?

tubaonwheels
tubaonwheels Posts: 448
edited January 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I really need to have a year of staying on bike. 3 times in last 18 months have had quite nasty falls, the most recent being the worst. 7 weeks ago hit a tree whilst doing unplanned flying dismount, ending up with 6 broken ribs and a punctured lung. Still not able to ride yet but hope to start (very easy) riding soon.

I've been warned that having broken several ribs next to each other, any impact is likely to cause them to go again. At least for 6-8 months. I really do not want to go through the pain again! And being an older gentleman (well... git) probably best to reel things in a bit.
I enjoy riding too much to give it up so have decided just to take things easy for this year and concentrate mainly on road and easy trail riding. Will do the odd club ride but miss out any technical bits that run any risk of falling off.

My strength has always been fitness (not at present!), endurance and climbing especially so thought I would mebbe train to do a few long distance rides etc.
Anyone else done anything similar? Or got any input on my intentions?
I need to get out there soon, I'm bored and very unfit.
Steve.

Comments

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Good luck with that, I managed to go a whole 15 days this year before I broke something. :lol:
  • Maybe think about getting a road bike. The risk of crashing will be much lower and it will do wonders for your overall fitness.
    Just ride.
  • I have a road bike, hardly used it last year but think it will be getting some use this year. Long term plan is to have a crack at LEJOG next year (mainly off road) to celebrate (?) my 60th so a year more aimed at longer rides won't do any harm. Already planning on doing C to C (sustrans) and possibly the Hadrians wall cycle route this year.

Right, lovely day so now is the time to start, off out for a steady one.
  • Well it was only 13miles of easy trails, but it's a start. Ribs a little sore after but not too bad so the long road back to fitness has begun.....