should I go on a Sportive?

mog812
mog812 Posts: 66
Hi all... not sure if this has been asked before or not ( I did try to find out first before posting), but i see that there are some Sportives around locally, and was wondering what I could expect, if I should choose to go?

Also I have been out of the saddle for some time, and have finally started riding again, with an aim of building up to 100miles, and thought maybe a Sportive would be a good idea?

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks for your time.

Comments

• piquet
    piquet Posts: 83
    Expect everything from 7 stone whippets on 3 ounce bikes to lardarses on mountain bikes at most low profile sportives
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Mog, don’t be put off by the divisive nature of the previous posts, there should be is a place for all types of cycling events and indeed all shapes, sizes, genders etc. Give it a whirl and try an Audax and a Sportive but don’t read too much into just one of each just get a feel for riding with others and what suits you. I do local Audax’s and some Sportives as well as a few charity rides, also ride abroad in the Algarve and have done Sportives in France and Grand Fondo’s in Italy. They all have their place with me and I enjoy doing the lot so do try as much as you can and enjoy. :D
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Exactly - they are different types of ride but probably not as different as some would like to think. Local audaxes look like costing me £7 a pop plus food, the sportives I'm looking at £25 but without having to buy food on the way round. Both will involve me riding hard in a small group on quiet challenging roads.

The last audax I did went off like a road race until 50 miles in when - it was later explained to me that we had been trying to drop a couple of guys who the others considered poor riders in a group - unfortunately not until after I'd dropped back to try and tow one back up and when it was obvious he couldn't make it suffered to make it back to the group myself.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mog812
    thanks for the replies...
    by the sounds of things, some people take it seriously while others might take the family, and everything else in between...
    but in the mean time, I think I am going to have to put in some miles, and get my fitness and speed up... then maybe even consider joining a cycle club.

my thanks again.

oh, and one more thing... seeing as this is not a race, I am assuming you don't have to have a license or anything else to do a Sportive, right?
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I would either join (British Cycling Ride Status) or the CTC if you are not already, this would be a good idea anyway for all your cycling. Also have a scout around with them and maybe check whether your household insurance can cover your bike value and/or clothing. :)
  • mog812
    sorry for taking so long to get back here...

Great and thanks for the info...
    made me feel a lot better.

my thanks again :)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    This time of year there are a lot of reliability rides going on, anything from 30-75 miles. usually very cheap( £2.50-5.00) with food laid on at the end. Good introduction to group riding and a great way to get some longer miles in before the summer season.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Do some audax. You can set your own pace and you wont be worried about people around you with all the bling kit.
    M.Rushton
  • LA
    LA Posts: 26
    Mog, the Hampshire Hilly Hundred would be a good sportive to aim for. Despite its title, its probably one of the easier sportives to do as there are a few climbs but the rest of the course is more undulating than hilly. Good event though and it's local.
    Life is not a rehearsal