loctite types, and specifically for cleat screws?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I know there are lots of different types of loctite with different numbers and colours, but I haven't a clue about how they differ.

I think I need some loctite to keep my speedplay cleat screws in place. What type should I get? I want the screws to stay put but also obviously to be removable (and without risking damaging the carbon sole...)

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I use this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automot ... 795/p66553

but I also have the need for larger bottles for my other hobby :)

If you are anywhere near me, feel free to come round and nick a few drops
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • neeb
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I use this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automot ... 795/p66553

but I also have the need for larger bottles for my other hobby :)

If you are anywhere near me, feel free to come round and nick a few drops
    Unfortunately not, I'm in Finland but thanks for the offer! Do you know if the purple colour is some universal code for the type of bond? I keep reading about "red loctite" and "blue loctite" as if these are known types with particular properties.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,604
    loctite 241

takes about 30 minutes to set, so there is plenty of time for final adjustment, designed for removal with hand tools
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod is spot on (as always) and it won't do any harm to use it but for what its worth I have used my Speedplay Zero's cleats or over two years, they've been on and off loads of time for cleaning and I have never used any thread lock and have never lost a cleat screw - or even noticed one coming loose. I always tighten them up till they bite and then give a quarter turn more (one click).
  • neeb
    Thanks, loctite 241 it is then!

I've just bought a new pair of shoes (the sidi ergo 3s with speedplay specific sole) and I'm having problems with the screws coming loose. They didn't seem to do that so easily on my previous shoes, although I did lose a screw on one occasion. That's despite screwing them up tighter than recommended.
  • V interesting neeb thanks for the update.

I use Lake Carbon sole shoes and the Speedplay 3to4 hole adaptor plate and shims. I wonder if having the adaptor plate in place helps the screws grip and fix as they screw into that before the sole? I fancy a 4 hole Speedplay specific shoe for next time though.
  • neeb
    V interesting neeb thanks for the update.

I use Lake Carbon sole shoes and the Speedplay 3to4 hole adaptor plate and shims. I wonder if having the adaptor plate in place helps the screws grip and fix as they screw into that before the sole? I fancy a 4 hole Speedplay specific shoe for next time though.
    I was wondering something similar myself. I do have some thin wedges (which I had on my previous shoes) plus the obligatory metal protection plate, but of course not the plastic adapter, which must provide some elastic friction for the screws. With the speedplay soles the screws are just going through a thin layer of carbon and then straight into the threads in the metal plate inside the shoe.

The shoes are great though!
  • sungod
    btw as new, speedplay cleat screws (the four 'corner' ones) should come with some threadlock already in place, i've never had one of them come loose, even though i remove them every few months to give the inside of the cleats a good clean they are still ok on the original threadlock

but speedplay do not pre-apply it to the three screws that hold the plate to 3-hole shoes (now *those* i've had come loose), maybe this is because they don't want to get blamed if higher removal force damages the shoe
  • Ahh ... ! I never noticed that but on mine it was defo on the four cleat ones but not the plate one - very interesting ....
  • neeb
    sungod wrote:
    btw as new, speedplay cleat screws (the four 'corner' ones) should come with some threadlock already in place, i've never had one of them come loose, even though i remove them every few months to give the inside of the cleats a good clean they are still ok on the original threadlock

but speedplay do not pre-apply it to the three screws that hold the plate to 3-hole shoes (now *those* i've had come loose), maybe this is because they don't want to get blamed if higher removal force damages the shoe
    I didn't use the standard screws as I needed slightly longer ones due to the wedges (13mm instead of the standard 11mm I think). I can't remember if they had threadlock on them or not...
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    apologise for bringing this thread back up but I'm need of the 4 screws that fix to the 3 screw plate and not sure where to get them from. It lloks like the are 11mm long but what is the thickness, looks about 3mm? Any idea I can get some from?
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I found some.
  • trv75
    trv75 Posts: 4
    Probably about 6 months too late with this but.....I generally use LOCTITE 221 which is just low strength (8.5Nm breakaway torque). If you go to the website they have a list of all products, suitable applications etc :)
  • sungod
    indyP wrote:
    I found some.

the genuine speedplay ones have detents on the underside of the head so that they don't come undone too easily, if you are using plain screws then it's more important to use some threadlock