Bike box advice

rkdj
rkdj Posts: 50
edited February 2012 in Tour & expedition
I am travelling abroad long haul in march and will be taking my road bike. I need to buy a bike box. Any recommendations ? Thanks for assistance.
older, balder, faster, slimmer, better

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I know there have been a few threads on this in the past mate.

Personally, a padded bag has served me well with my carbon frame.

Tifosi bike bag

Only been flights from the UK to France although once it's packed in the hold, I don't imagine it makes a difference if it's long or short?

Guess it also depends on what your allowance is with boxes being heavier.
  • http://www.bikebox-online.co.uk/

Great service from these guys
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I personally would never fly with my bike in a bike bag as I have travelled in a group where two bikes that were put in bags were damaged (one a total right off and the other some substantial damage). 9 times out of 10 you will probably be fine but its not a risk I am willing to take. That being said it largely depends on your budget as to whether you are willing to buy a hard case and whether you have somewhere to store it.

If you aren't planning to use one that often then it may be worth renting or borrowing one from a club mate. You can get rental Bike Box Alans for around £40 for a week if you google it (depends on where you live but i have rented from Athlete Service in Henley before and I think Scherrit at the Bike Whisperer has rentals).
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    I've got a carbon framed road bike, so chose to go for a hard-box - bought one from http://bikeboxalan.co.uk/

They cost about £420, but you can also hire them. It's fully guaranteed & I've used it on 6 trips so far with no issues. I would recommend them without hesitation......no, I don't work for them!

Previously had an aluminium framed Giant, that I took to Vegas in a soft bag - it survived the trip out, but the handle bars were bent beyond repair on the return journey.
  • NJA
    NJA Posts: 19
    On a similar point, I am going touring in Italy in May so need a bag that I can carry with me for 7 days whilst cycling - any ideas?

Thanks
    Nick.
  • Bike Box alan

They are the only way to go. I had a padded bag, but it was difficult to steer, carry, etc. The rigid bike box from bikeboxalan is superb. 4 wheels, 2 of the wheels are fixed in direction 2 wheels for steering. proper locking clips. the interior is beautifully laid out with a perfectly designed system for packing the bike.

took one to tenerife a couple of months ago and it was a dream

Chris
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Another shout for Bikeboxalan - they are bloody pricey but well worth it, especially long haul.
    Oh yes the white one looks sooooo cool at the airport ;-)
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Evoc bike bag - absolutely brilliant! First class design, very well protected bike, easy to pack and folds up fairly small for storage when not in use. Very flexible design means should fit just about any frame shape and design.

Used a Polaris hard case before that was rubbish - poor straps and fixings for the bike, hard to get it packed and the bike needed to be completely protected when inside the box as it really didnt stop the frame rattling all over the place etc.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    First time I flew with my bike I borrowed a mates semi-rigid bike box (can't recall the make), wasn't too happy watching it go through the cargo hatch at the airport to be honest. It arrived ok at other end but the case had had a hard time when I picked, -badly marked and the handle ripped off.

Second time I had bought my own rigid box (scicon aerotech), was much happier with the rigid box-they feel just about bomb-proof. Talking to other people on the trip, just about everyone was using rigid boxes for piece of mind.

They are not cheap but worth It for me to ensure that I can ride my own bike on a Holliday.
  • I'm thinking of investing in a hard bike box, but just wondering how easy it is to find storage at airports? Or is the idea to take it on to a single location and unpack the bike there?