Boris Island

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
What do you reckon? My first reaction was "what a PITA having to cross London to get to the airport"

Did I read somewhere that part of the pitch was paying for about 1/3 of it by selling the Heathrow real estate?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Buy houses close to Heathrow if that's the case & you think it'll go ahead ^_^
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I think it will be easy to get from the island to central London. The only PITA part of the route will be the interchange from the Routemaster bus to the cable car...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Seems as if Heathrow is full and Gatwick not far off so they're going to have to cater for the projected demand somehow. Also it's probably just as quick to get there as Heathrow for me, so fine.

What are the realistic alternatives?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Could we just level some of Essex?

Am undecided at the moment. Quite enough air traffic round these parts as it is.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Supposed to be a really good idea if you like the sound of planes crashing following bird strikes, so I hear from those who know more about this than me.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That nothing will be done and we'll all just muddle through with the poor compromise we've already got :(

Heathrow is an utter embarrassment (T5 Shopping Mall aside) when you've been through Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Bangkok etc. It'd be nice if the island airport was done and it replaced Heathrow & Gatwick, but what're the odds of an ambitious, visionary, coherent & far-sighted plan ever being implemented?