Science in Sport PSP22 Energy Drink Mix

The Man Chump
The Man Chump Posts: 81
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Has anyone tried it.
I have just bought some on Wiggle and wondered if anyone has used it and their thoughts.

Peter

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    It's my drink of choice.
    Haven't been out with just water so can't say what it does for me.

Main thing is that it agrees with my stomach.
  • Not keen myself. Tried it a while back, gave me terrible gut rot and I switched to Torq instead which was much nicer. I think, although could be wrong, that PSP22 has aspartame in it which is nasty.

Now have a big bag of cheap maltodextrin which does the job just fine.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I like SIS stuff, may favourite personally. but then I like strong tastes in Energy/electrolyte drinks, takes the taste of sweat/blood out of my mouth. Some of the ones I ve tried (Torq being one) are too weak for me, it's like putting water in a bottle that was used for squash last time...

It's very much a personal thing though so try a few....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I tried some yesterday and it tastes a bit sticky, but i'll try it at the weekend and see.
  • ddraver wrote:
    I like SIS stuff, may favourite personally. but then I like strong tastes in Energy/electrolyte drinks, takes the taste of sweat/blood out of my mouth. Some of the ones I ve tried (Torq being one) are too weak for me, it's like putting water in a bottle that was used for squash last time...

It's very much a personal thing though so try a few....

Bang on. I'm the other way and found SIS too strong tasting. The maltodextrin I have literally tastes of nothing so you need to flavour it with something.

Personal taste!
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I personally don't see the need for an energy drink at all. If you're out for more than 2 hours (under which time you don't really need an energy drink anyway), you can get all the energy you need from taking proper food with you on the bike.

Electrolyte drinks are a different matter - they're pretty useful.
  • Yep agree here (which may seem counterintuitive to my previous posts). Food is the answer. When I'm out on a long ride (4hrs+) I'll take two bottles, one with energy drink in and the other with a Nuun tablet (and a half) in it. Far better to get your energy from food than have a load of liquid sloshing around making you feel uncomfortable. Often I'll not bother with the energy drink in and I'll come back from a ride with at least 50% of it still there.

That's why I went from PSP to Torq to maltodextrin. It doesn't annoy me as much to have to chuck away cheap stuff as the pricey gear. Particularly when the stuff goes off in the tub because you've had it so long, not used it and you end up ditching it anyway.

Soreen, flapjacks, haribo, peperami (for when you're sick of sweet stuff).
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Well energy drink is absorbed faster and for many people is more convenient and easier to consume on a hard ride. Agreed you don't need anything if out for under two hours but over that and I prefer energy drink over food (apart from cake stops obviously...). Used to use the SIS stuff but now prefer the High5 4:1 stuff with the protein in it.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    absorbtion is not a problem if you eat at the right time - ie before you feel like you need it.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Has anyone tried it.
    I wouldn't touch the standard stuff with artificial sweeteners.

Tried a couple of the organic PSP22 sachets (no nasty sh*t allowed). The fruit punch flavour is OK but the powder is a bit cakey so doesn't dissolve particularly well. Tried a couple of Torq energy singles recently and much prefer them. The powder dissolves easily so no gunk left in the bottom of the bottle and the lighter, fresher flavours make it taste less 'manufactured'.

I think the electrolytes is mostly marketing, and unnecessary except for particularly long rides in hot weather. Save money and buy plain maltodextrin then add a dash of hi-juice squash.

No need for anything other than water up to 2 hours. For long, steady rides with stops solid food is fine but if you're doing a hard session or there are decent climbs you'll not have the blood available to digest solids. That's when fluid is better, it won't be "sloshing around" unless you down most of a bottle in one go.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Yep agree here (which may seem counterintuitive to my previous posts). Food is the answer. When I'm out on a long ride (4hrs+) I'll take two bottles, one with energy drink in and the other with a Nuun tablet (and a half) in it. Far better to get your energy from food than have a load of liquid sloshing around making you feel uncomfortable. Often I'll not bother with the energy drink in and I'll come back from a ride with at least 50% of it still there.

That's why I went from PSP to Torq to maltodextrin. It doesn't annoy me as much to have to chuck away cheap stuff as the pricey gear. Particularly when the stuff goes off in the tub because you've had it so long, not used it and you end up ditching it anyway.

Soreen, flapjacks, haribo, peperami (for when you're sick of sweet stuff).
    Cheapy mc cheap :)http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/maltodextrin real food if you can stomach it during a long ride will always be better though.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Happily using the blackcurrant version, only necc for 50k+ rides though. Anything less I would just use the electrolyte GO stuff. For longer rides around 100k I use one bottle of each.

If you intend to use the SIS brand longer term, I suggest using their bottles. Good quality with markers to make up the drinks using the recommended proportions.
  • It seems that many people have different needs I will see how I go, Another 30 miler tomorrow and then longer next week. I'll tweek if this doesn't work out.