Made in . . .where?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
I've just been in Halfords, where curiosity compelled me to see if they have any tools that I need. Interestingly some of their own brand bike tools have "england" (yes, lower-case e) engraved on them, but the packaging says "Made in Taiwan". Does this strike anyone else as being just the teeniest tad misleading?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I've just been in Halfords, where curiosity compelled me to see if they have any tools that I need. Interestingly some of their own brand bike tools have "england" (yes, lower-case e) engraved on them, but the packaging says "Made in Taiwan". Does this strike anyone else as being just the teeniest tad misleading?

im pretty sure if the metal is from a certain country but then the tool is made else where it can be called "made in XXX"

there was a program about medical tools being made in India with "Made in Germany" on them. Basically it was German steel being sent to India then stamped
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Where is something "made"?

All manner of items are assembled using components manufactured from all four points of the compass.

My bike was assembled in my LBS but the components came from all over the world. I consider my bike to be made in England,but, it's not an English bike.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • IIRC, Legally it is ok to lable something as made in which ever country the majority of the value was added.
    i.e. A product is made in Taiwan then shipped to the US where it is repackaged, if that doubles the value it is deemed acceptable to label it as made in the USA.