Record Headset

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited January 2012 in Workshop
I need a new 1" threadless headset so I decided to treat myself to the Record version.
Very nice it is too, but it doesn't come with bearings :shock:
WTF? What use is that?
I finally tracked down the part number required - HS-RE005 but I cannot source them anywhere.

Anybody got any ideas?

I may have to return the headset but it can't be that difficult, can it?
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited January 2012
    How bizarre. I've always regarded the bearings as an integral part of the headset. Certainly got the bearings with the threaded Ritchey headset I paid a tenner for.

You don't buy a hub or a BB without bearings do you?
  • daviesee
    You would have thought so, eh!

Anyway it at last gives me an excuse to blame Wiggle! :wink:

Not strictly their fault but they could make it clear that the bearings do not come supplied.
    (I have asked)
  • My Record headsets have always come with bearings. I'd send it back for a refund
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • daviesee
    That's what I am doing.

Where did you get yours from?

Wiggle say they don't come supplied :?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't see how they can describe it as a headset if it lacks the bearings. Headset bearing cups possibly.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Well I brought one of these a few months back and it does arrive with bearings. The headset is mounted on a plastic shaft in the box and the grey pice at the bottem separates from the clear shaft. The bearings are in this little compartment. I've just recheked the box to make sure !!!

By the way you may want send yours back and order one here to save a packet...

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p426_Record-Steuersatz-Gewinde-.html
  • daviesee
    Thanks for that Bob, we might be getting somewhere now.

And it may be my incompetence :oops:

Looking at the photo on that link, we can ignore that it is a threaded version while mine is threadless, you can clearly see the bearing race surfaces, but no bearings. Internally, that is what I have.

Put me in the picture, even if it hurts. Please?
  • bobgfish
    Making a guess here. It' a bit pointless to sell one of these without the bearings. Becomes a peice of junk.

They also sell these...

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p428_Record-Steuersatz-A-Head-.html

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p430_Record-Steuersatz-Hiddenset-TTC-.html

However they don;t really help as decription does not state with bearing and agin the pictures don't show them.

I'd recheck the box and if the headset is on a plastic shaft thingy then the bearings are probably hidden in the bottem of the shaft thingy.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    According to the 2011 Campagnolo headset spares catalogue, all headsets come supplied with bearings - which matches my experience with all headsets I've ever bought.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • daviesee
    bobgfish wrote:
    I'd recheck the box and if the headset is on a plastic shaft thingy then the bearings are probably hidden in the bottem of the shaft thingy.
    I left it at the office so I will check that tomorrow.
    It must be something stupid, surely? Most likely me.

Thanks for the pointers, and future use links :P
  • daviesee
    Doh!

And humble pie time. The bearings are indeed hidden away within the plastic base. :oops:

Cheers Bob.
  • A headset without bearings is pure nonsense... these things are happening more frequently... I bought a disc brake from Evans which came with the rotor and all bolts, bought the same product from CRC two weeks later and it came out of the box without rotor and bolts for a very similar price...

Very annoying
    left the forum March 2023
  • bobgfish
    out of the box without rotor and bolts for a very similar price

Which is where they make money form us all. You just brought an OEM part rather than retail boxed. Never easy to tell. Hope you sent it back or asked for the missing parts.
  • bobgfish wrote:
    out of the box without rotor and bolts for a very similar price

Which is where they make money form us all. You just brought an OEM part rather than retail boxed. Never easy to tell. Hope you sent it back or asked for the missing parts.

for some bizarre reason the 2011 model comes complete and the 2012 brake only... I therefore sent back the 2012 and ordered a 2011 for the same price... BTW they are indistinguishable
    left the forum March 2023