Commuting accidents

hydrodan
hydrodan Posts: 12
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
HI Guys,

This my first post on this website so will try not to rattle on to much.
I have been commuting to work for just under a year to get fit and save a few £££, Its a 22mile round trip so not a bad work out three times a week.
Last week I got knocked of my bike at a roundabout on my way home. I wasn't travelling fast and had lights + helmet. IT was in the evening but on a well lit roundabout she didn't see me coming/ was looking properly and went straight into the side of me.
Its a miracle no bones have broken I was taken to hospital and have sustained back and neck injuries. The driver in question stopped and was v upset by what had happened and admitted full responsibility for the accident.

On a slightly comical note at one point there was about 7/8 emergency service people on the scene. An emergency response ambulance that was by chance driving past just after I was knocked off, then an off duty paramedic stopped to help. They then call an ambulance and a police unit which happened to be an armed response unit. They were all fantastic though.

Although not I nice experience I cant help but feeling lucky that it was any worse and that so many people stopped to help for which I am grateful.

What are other people experiences? and has it put you off?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Get well soon.

I got hit. Driver was nice/honest about it. Insurance company sorted everything out and it hasn't put me off at all.

It might be worth getting British cycling or CTC membership for the future though. They have legal support in case you need it after a collision.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I ended up in A&E twice in the last six months, no other vehicles involved.

First one some police happened to be passing and gave me first aid. But your SWAT team wins.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    People actually stopped - wow.

I was hit on a roundabout 3 years ago. The driver didn't even get out of her car. No-one stopped - all drove round me, only a taxi driver asked 10-15 minutes after the accident if we were OK. Liability admitted, but case still going on and on.

Heal well and take it easy !
  • Riding for close to an year now. Hit twice one hit and run. Not serious for A&E but bad experience none the less. Still riding. Just love the new body :lol: You get well and get back into the saddle!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • HI Guys thanks for your kind words, I am on the mend now phsyio thinks it will take 6 to 8 weeks to fully recover. in the mean time i have been looking into this hi viz jacket, has any body got one of these or tried one? i am interested to know if they are any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proviz-Electr ... 837wt_1074
  • I have a different view on Hi viz - I find that when I go Hi Viz I have more incidents with folk pulling out in front of me compared to when I go "stealth" but with great lights. I have a 40 mile round trip daily commute. Nothing statistical to base this on just anecdotally seems to happen more with hi viz. My thoughts are that they are not sure what you are in stealth mode and hesitate whereas with Hi viz they reckon you are a "slow" bike and pull out in front of you more...just my thoughts in any case
    Would get down on the drops more if the gut wasn't in the way!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I had cars stop for me last time I fell off (on ice).

They only stopped because my bike was in the road in front of them! Not one of them even bothered to wind down a window to see if I was OK.

Good luck with the recovery
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I had cars stop for me last time I fell off (on ice).

They only stopped because my bike was in the road in front of them! Not one of them even bothered to wind down a window to see if I was OK.

Good luck with the recovery

That's rough. Would've expected better given that you're in a fairly unpopulated area and may not have had any local help.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.