What fettling blunders have you made?

2»

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Used the wrong bit in a crank extractor (square taper BB) and stripped the threads. Removal of the chainset required an angle grinder (it wasn't -re-usable). :oops:
  • Not me but a mate...used olive oil in some Forks, was extra virgin mind :)
  • about 3 times now i have put crank arms back on the bottom bracket parallel to each other (or anyway except the right way) I dont know what it is but its always something i forget to check!

once did it on a sunday morning, then in the afternoon i got the bike out for a trip to the pub arrr did it again sod it i'll just try to ride, its only a couple of miles. I got there ok(ish). But after a few pints i had completly forgot about it, I got back on the bike put one peddel at the 2 o'clock position with my other foot on the floor as you do ready to push off and away I went only when I now took my standing foot off floor and onto the pedel it wasnt where it was meant to be. Que me smashing nads on top tube rolling down the pubs front car park bounce of a bush and then the bike stops at a pub bench full of people but i dont, and i rudely interrupt their afternoon drink by flopping myself onto their bench/table!

As this was a sunny sunday afternoon everybody was out side so i had a nice audience!
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    about 3 times now i have put crank arms back on the bottom bracket parallel to each other (or anyway except the right way) I dont know what it is but its always something i forget to check!
    Understandable as the first one you put on drops to 6 o'clock and its easier to put the next one on in the same position otherwise you're having to look around the pedal (if its fitted).
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I remember cutting into the frame of a previous bike with a hacksaw when I was trying to remove a brake bolt, that was a bit of a bugger. Fortunately the local garage managed to weld it up again!

Cross threading a bolt on the pannier rack on £1500 of current (and then brand new) MTB last year - that was a bit of a bugger again.

Pride of honour goes to a perfect piece of fettling on another old bike (replaced by the bike in the first para). I'd stripped and cleaned it before going back into the house. No problem there. The blunder was I'd propped it up against the back of my father's car. I don't really need to type any more do I......

(I did get a nice new bike out of the incident though - eventually.....!)

Bob