Jgb1
Jgb1 Posts: 50
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Has any one got one of these or ridden one? I am thinking of
getting one but cant find any reviews on the 2011 ones. I have found a few
general ones and they sound good apart from one or two say they have poor
wheels. 

Also would they make a good first full suss bike as I can
get one for £1350 what sounds a good price to me. 

I have a rockhopper now and have been very happy with it.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you are happy with your Rockhopper, why not just keep it?
  • Jgb1
    I got the rockhopper second hand as a cheap first bike to see if I liked it. I do and now ride a couple of times a week and fancy a full suspension.
    Also seemed a good price and thought it looked quite versatile and hopefully last a few years.
  • Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    Look for reviews on the 2010 one as well as I believe the frames are the same.

I have the 2010 expert model, got it for a bargain as it was ex-demo.

The bike is great and I really would recommend it. Plus Specialized are well known for their excellent warranty and crash replacement policy.

The wheels that came on mine stayed straight and true with no problems, though the back wheel was a bit flexy (I am nearly 18 stone though!). I have read a few reviews about a spoke sometimes breaking. I wouldnt worry about it, any problems will be a warranty and I have not had any problems.

I have since upgraded my wheels to hope pro 2's with Stans flows but only because they were discounted and to tempting to say no to.

Here is mine:

6134015326_bbe2b94deb.jpg
    IMAG0134 by sidders34, on Flickr
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have the 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp and love it.

I bought it in November last year and have probably put about 150 miles on it and so far it has been flawless. I was riding a Giant XtC before the Stumpy but I always ended up with wrist and back ache. None of that with the Stumpy though.
    I tried a few bikes before deciding on the Stumpy but none of them 'fitted' me as well.
    I weigh 17 stone but I set the forks and shock according to the guidelines and there is no problem with bottoming out.

I have also read reports about the wheels but so far so good. If they go out of true or spokes start snapping I'll deal with it then.

£1,350 is an excellent price. I thought I was getting a bargain at £1,500.

10031741-1.jpg

The only thing that has disappointed me is that the red bands around the rims are stickers and not painted on, but that's a minor thing.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    wheel failures a few years ago was down to using alloy nipples that corroded and the head snapped off .
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Had one out on test for a few days in the summer. Really liked it, great fun to ride and very well balanced. Great for hopping and jumping stuff and generally having fun on the trails. Go for it!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Mine rocks and is the best bike in the world, all other bikes suck. :P
  • Jgb1
    Thanks for the advice like people are happy with them.
    Is the 140 still good for general riding or is it more for rougher stuff?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    140 is absolutely fine for XC riding as the bike overall for what it is is light anyway, then hitting the rougher stuff it soaks it up nicely.