Bexley to Canary Wharf

maddernj
maddernj Posts: 50
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
As a consultant I try to stay in and around the city for work but alas I could not keep it up, so I am in the wharf for the foreseeable future.

Whats the best way to cycle in though ? The blackwall tunnel is a no-go, is the Rotherhithe ?

Do people use the footpath in Greenwich ?

Suggestions appreciated,

Thanks
Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the tunnels are properly grim avoid.

Greenwich is fine, it's annoying having to get off the bike though. Carrying it up the stairs is a extra little workout

could also sneak a few more miles in and go over tower bridge?

just recognised the name.. hello
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Yeah, I'd stick to the foot tunnel.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There's always the Hilton Ferry which you can take a bike on return cost £6.30 though.

http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/05 ... lands.html
    http://www.thamesclippers.com/routes-ti ... rices.html
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Hi CP....wrist okay ?

£6.30 !! may as well get PT

Okay so foot tunnel if lazy or Tower Bridge and add a few miles....my 30 mile commute could be getting longer !

Is the westferry underpass thingy a nightmare or should you stay above ground ?
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • sketchley
    BTW you can cycle through Rotherhithe tunnel but in the words of this reviewer http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/05 ... unnel.html "Not a bike trip you'd want to do every day"
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    There does not appear to be cycle restrictions on London Overground so you could use that to cross between Canada Water and Rotherhithe.

From http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tocs_maps ... tails.html
    London Overground currently allows cycles on its trains and conveys them free of charge provided it is safe to do so.

Due to space constraints, cycles are not permitted on services between Willesden Junction High Level and Gospel Oak or between Gospel Oak and Blackhorse Road in either direction between 0800 - 1000 and 1630 - 1830.

On the Euston to Watford Line cycles are not permitted on London Overground services timed to arrive at London Euston between 0700 - 1000 or depart London Euston between 1630 and 1900.

These restrictions apply on Mondays to Fridays only. There are no restrictions on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Folding bicycles can be carried on any of our services at any time. Only one cycle is allowed per customer and this must be folded and within a limit of one cycle per vestibule area.

Tandems and three-wheeled vehicles cannot be accommodated on any London Overground service. Cycles are not carried on buses that replace trains due to engineering work.

It is not possible to reserve a space for your bicycle.
    --
    Chris

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    & it is particularly particulate heavy (like that? ;) ) in cold weather. I hate it even in my car with a/c on.

The roads around the Wharf are very potholed as is Westferry Circus. It's OK underground, just be wary.
  • Well its 16.7m if I go over the bridge or 11.5 if I walk through the tunnel.....I average about 15mph on the entire journey so at a rough guess it will be about an extra 20mins (not counting lights / walking / carrying bike etc etc etc)

Guess i'll just have to get on my bike and give it a go.
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Woolwich ferry?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Ride to Welling down to Plumstead and then along to Woolwich. Use either the ferry or foot tunnel to cross the river.

Out into North Woolwich. Turn left at junction and follow towards City Airport. Over the bridge with the airport on the right.

Left at the roundabout and follow all the way to Canning Town. There is a cycle path that'll take straight into Docklands.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    maddernj wrote:
    Hi CP....wrist okay ?

£6.30 !! may as well get PT

Okay so foot tunnel if lazy or Tower Bridge and add a few miles....my 30 mile commute could be getting longer !

Is the westferry underpass thingy a nightmare or should you stay above ground ?

It's getting there, thanks. The aching seems to have stopped now if I don't test it too much.

I tended to ride the A13 instead of the cycle path, it was quicker and to me, safer
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sketchley wrote:
    There does not appear to be cycle restrictions on London Overground so you could use that to cross between Canada Water and Rotherhithe.

From http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tocs_maps ... tails.html
    London Overground currently allows cycles on its trains and conveys them free of charge provided it is safe to do so.

Due to space constraints, cycles are not permitted on services between Willesden Junction High Level and Gospel Oak or between Gospel Oak and Blackhorse Road in either direction between 0800 - 1000 and 1630 - 1830.

On the Euston to Watford Line cycles are not permitted on London Overground services timed to arrive at London Euston between 0700 - 1000 or depart London Euston between 1630 and 1900.

These restrictions apply on Mondays to Fridays only. There are no restrictions on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Folding bicycles can be carried on any of our services at any time. Only one cycle is allowed per customer and this must be folded and within a limit of one cycle per vestibule area.

Tandems and three-wheeled vehicles cannot be accommodated on any London Overground service. Cycles are not carried on buses that replace trains due to engineering work.

It is not possible to reserve a space for your bicycle.

Having lived there (canada water) for a while, I wouldn't recommend that particular changeover.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Ride to Welling down to Plumstead and then along to Woolwich. Use either the ferry or foot tunnel to cross the river.

Out into North Woolwich. Turn left at junction and follow towards City Airport. Over the bridge with the airport on the right.

Left at the roundabout and follow all the way to Canning Town. There is a cycle path that'll take straight into Docklands.

Hmm think I prefer the Greenwich or Tower bridge route.....Don't think I fancy that Tunnel late at night or to be fair having to ride through Woolwich / Plumstead & Welling. Especially as will be riding fixed and Plumstead will be a PIA to get up and over.

Cheers though..its an option
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Westferry Circus ground level is very very rough on racing tyres and rims. If you're on 32mm they are probably ok but I would go up and over, much smoother blacktop.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Its taken a while (pass / bike space etc etc etc) but today was the first day. Went all the way up to tower bridge and back down through the limehouse tunnel and off at the first junction into Canary Wharf...

16.7miles in 59.24

Though Strava also tells me that my max speed was 58.4mph ???

I think it may be a little slower on the way home but not half as bad as I feared.
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2012
    maddernj wrote:
    Its taken a while (pass / bike space etc etc etc) but today was the first day. Went all the way up to tower bridge and back down through the limehouse tunnel and off at the first junction into Canary Wharf...

I thought cyclists weren't permitted in the Limehouse tunnel? I certainly wouldn't bother (and indeed don't!) when there's the CS3 along Narrow St - you can either pull off to the right at the end of the Highway at the ped crossing at the lights or turn left up Butcher Row then take a right through the park onto CS3. Both are shorter and much more cyclist-friendly!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Ohh really ?? hmm it was quite quiet and would explain why the guy in front pulled over to the right just before the tunnel.

How do you get onto cable street / CS3 ?
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • maddernj wrote:
    Ohh really ?? hmm it was quite quiet and would explain why the guy in front pulled over to the right just before the tunnel.

How do you get onto cable street / CS3 ?

From Tower Bridge you've two options: the Highway or CS3/Cable St, which you can take by going straight on after Tower Bridge, Up Mansell St and then right onto Royal Mint St. The Highway is usually quicker and if you're a confident and fast cyclist arguably better as you're less likely to get left/right-hooked by the myriad roads that cross CS3 with indeterminate priority or run into peds.
  • Ahh I went along the highway this morning....I found it was great, Looking at google maps I should have taken a right onto Narrow Street and followed that round to Westferry Roundabout. I guess i'll give that a bash on the way home.
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )
  • maddernj wrote:
    I guess i'll give that a bash on the way home.

YMMV with the Highway on the way home, sometimes it's totally chocka, backed up with traffic in both lanes, other times it's pretty much clear.

If you're going back along the Highway tonight, go straight on at the traffic lights on the way out of the Wharf (where there's a left turn to Limehouse Link), then take a left down the bus lane at the next lights by Westferry DLR - watch out for buses sitting/stopping in the bus stop about 10ft after the lights, not a lot of room to wiggle past them and they don't often tend to check for cyclists doing so before setting off, then left. Follow Narrow St to the end, watch for cyclists turning right just after the swing-bridge, they often pull over without shoulder-checking. When you get to the end of Narrow St there's a right-turn then a bit of shared pavement where you meet the Highway. Either play nice by activating the ped lights and setting off from there or do as most people do by cycling along the pavement to the junction of the next road (Jardine Rd) - easier to merge there.
  • Cool thanks, I'll bear that in mind....

Funny did not see the no cyclist signs on the way in this morning but they are clear as day on google maps (oops)
    Joe Waugh Fixed (48*17 )