Yeti ASR5C from a carbon zesty

dan45a
dan45a Posts: 143
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've had my Carbon zesty 714 for 2 years and am very happy with it both going up and down, amazing bike! but am starting to get the new bike urge and fancy a change. This is my 2nd Zesty so am looking what else is out there and only really like the Yeti ASR5 carbon fitted with a 130- 140mm fork, I have heard its super quick both up and down. The one shown in this month’s Dirt is super nice.

I was wondering if anyone had tried a ASR5C out and had any comparison against a zesty or another good 140mm bike around trails centers?

I ride mostly Welsh trail centers and the odd XC enduro/marathon. I’m not too worried about getting less travel as have an Alpine160 for the bigger stuff and uplift days.

Cheers

Comments

• dan45a
    ok, perhaps my post was a bit too specific.

Anyone ridden a ASR5 carbon have any feedabck? Also anyone know where I can demo one in the south wales area?

cheers,
    Dan
  • I have recently bought an ASR5c, having had a Trek Fuel ex8 (upgraded wheels,brakes, cockpit, gears) which I truly thought was a fantastic bike and still do. The Yeti is in a different class, build it with the kit you want straight from the off - fantastic. Don't know where in SW you can demo one though.
  • dan45a
    Thanks mate Sounds cool. That's good feedback as my wife has a fuel ex8 which I sometimes ride and it really is a great trail bike.

What travel fork did you build the yeti with?

I've now found out that skyline cycles at afan will have a demo in a couple of weeks so looking forward to testing my usual loop on the yeti.
  • I built mine around a 130mm fork (fox RLC 140 shimmed down) to balance front and rear. I find the front end is low enough with a zero degree rise stem resting on the headset cup. Others I know run a 120mm fork to lower front end further still.

I'm finding the set up I'm using suits me just fine. Enjoy :-)
  • dan45a
    Thanks bandfreak! Good to know people are using a long fork without issue. I plan to use my 140mm fox 32 float if I go ahead with a build as I like a slack HA. Just waiting for a test ride now...:)

Cheers,

Dan
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    perhaps consider the santa cruz blur TRc? ive ridden the yeti and as great as it is, the blur was even better when i test rode a demo before crimbo, its more solidly built than the yeti and feels stiffer, lower bb too and it corners like its on rails, just another to consider ;)
  • dan45a
    Wow...They have a Blur TRC available at afan so may also throw my leg over it same day as the Yeti. Its a bit more money and has a slightly steeper HA but otherwise looks a very simular type ride.
    I'm attracted the the speed of the Yeti, not heard the same of TRc but one way to find out. Cheers.
  • dan45a
    Ok, thought I'd update this thread to for anyone who's interested. My Zesty 714 is gone and I now have a Yeti ASR5C which I have been riding for just over a month doing loops of cwmcarn, afan and brechfa red.

Yeti weighs in at 26lbs with a reverb fitted so is super light. That’s a shade under the carbon zesty which was 26.5lbs.

Climbing the Zesty was really good, but the Yeti is rapid, enough said really.

The yeti is longer and quite a big size for a medium.

The Yeti is not a plush as the Zesty and possibly not quite a good looking. If you are looking a big hitting machine the yeti is not it.

However, the yeti is insanely quick downhill. It seems to just accelerate all on its own. At speed it is stable and comfortable but you can feel like you are on the edge as it encourages you to push it, but I really like this feeling. The yeti also pumps better, probably due to being a single pivot design.

I would not say the yeti is in a different league to the Zesty, but just slightly better and a bit more special.

Both awesome bikes, but loving the yeti!! Hope this helps anyone who’s tempted to make a simular change!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That's pretty much how I felt when I demoed one a while ago (unfortunately not with any realistic view to buying one!). It was so quick and snappy, really flickable, it felt like the suspension was helping me to do what I wanted to do, as opposed to other FSs I've tried where it seems to be absorbing my own effort, not just the bumps in the terrain. FWIW, I also had a quick spin on a Blur TRc and much preferred the Yeti.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."