GPS Phone

Mr Dog
Mr Dog Posts: 643
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
In the market for a smartphone and being an old duffer I'm absolutely clueless. I need a gps mapping function to stop me getting lost whilst off road in the winter. So i would like a device which uses stored maps as the signal in the mountains can be really patchy. Any suggestions for a phone and app combo greatly welcome. :D
Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?

Comments

• I'd recommend an iPhone or an Android handset. Plenty great GPS apps on both.
  • Mr Dog
    Currently looking at a Samsung Galaxy S2 but the reviews on the GPS are mixed. The iphone battery drains rapidly compared to its android counterparts, but the operating system is OAP friendly. Mapping is really important as is the music player.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Whatever platform, BikeHub is a good app as it allows you to download the maps in advance (I think it's the only one that will do that).
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    For offroad in the winter I'd want something that's waterproof. There are one or two decent phones that are waterproof (e.g. Sony Ericsson Active - not available on contract in the UK at the moment), but I'd still recommend a Garmin. You could get a Garmin Etrex HCx or even a used Edge 705 for under £150, which would give you a robust, waterproof device with good battery life.

FWIW I have a Samsung Galaxy S and I wouldn't want it strapped to the bars on road, never mind offroad (and it's kind of pointless having it in your pocket if you want to navigate with it).
    More problems but still living....
  • Mr Dog
    Thanks amaferanga. I have considered an Edge 800 but to have a single device is really appealing. I plan to wear the phone in an armband listening to the mp3 player and will only use the GPS when I get lost. I fall off too much to warrant handlebar/stem mounted device. :D I like to keep an eye on the trail rather than my kph. On road its easier to keep track of the screen data.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Samsung Galaxy S2 is HUGE and surely it's just as likely to get smashed up worn on your arm as something would be on the bars?
    More problems but still living....
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I can't recommend the IPhone 4 enough and the battery life is good, brilliant compared to my mates HTC Desire. I can go out for a 4hr+ ride with cyclemeter running and it's hardly noticeable.
  • I use my Galaxy S2 in my back pocket, wrapped in a sandwich bag. Music and GPS both are great. And you can put SD cards in it for more room for music.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Currently looking at a Samsung Galaxy S2 but the reviews on the GPS are mixed. The iphone battery drains rapidly compared to its android counterparts, but the operating system is OAP friendly. Mapping is really important as is the music player.

I've got the Galaxy S2 and had no problems with the GPS, the included satnav app is as good as any purpose built system I've used (and better than most) but I haven't used any off road maps. I'm not sure how good battery life will be with the GPS running, I have run it down within an hour in the car with wifi and Bluetooth running but did 2 hours using Endomondo at the weekend with at least half a battery remaining.
  • Mr Dog
    I'm looking to pre load the maps and simply use the GPS function as and when I need it (whilst listening to some tunes when the going gets tough). As a gadget newbie I'm looking for an 'all in one' that saves me carrying the stand alone devices.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    amaferanga wrote:
    . You could get a Garmin Etrex HCx ..... for under £150, which would give you a robust, waterproof device with good battery life.
    Clicky
  • i have been using a motorola defy on a t-mobile contract, 2years,300mins,300texts,500mb,£15 per month, and i use o/s lite app, and endomondo,
    the defy is meant to be water resistant, although i have not had cause to test this, my good lady wife who recently got the same phone managed to leave it in her trouser pocket whilst leaving them in soak in the sink for 30mins, and hey presto, it was fine,
    a good test i think,
    as to battery life, the most miles i've tracked was 75 over 5.5 hrs using the endomono app and occasionaly checking o/s lite for location and direction!
    i hope this is of help....
    put the fun between your legs
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you do go for an Android phone, OsmAnd is a free app that has instructions on how to download and install the free Open Source Maps so that you can do sat nav even in areas where you have no mobile phone network for data.
  • I have just ordered a SIM-free Acer Liquid Metal. It runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread. It has GPS, Maps, etc.

Expansis are selling them for a bargain £129.98:
    http://www.expansys.com/acer-liquid-metal-brown-209791/

If you buy via Quidco you get a further 5% off.

Also, if you use 15PAYPAL voucher code and pay using your Paypal account you get an extra £15 off on top, too.

So the total price you'll pay is ~£109

These phones were going for ~£300 this time last year.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • Bozman wrote:
    I can't recommend the IPhone 4 enough and the battery life is good, brilliant compared to my mates HTC Desire. I can go out for a 4hr+ ride with cyclemeter running and it's hardly noticeable.

Same here my IPhone running run keeper will last over 8 hours.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s