Jockey Wheels

sagefly
sagefly Posts: 295
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
A daft question maybe, I need to replace one of the jockey wheels on a 9spd Sora setup.

I cant see the Sora jockey wheels advertised anywhere, is there a generic jockey wheel for the lower end Shimano products or do I just get any old jockey wheel and stick it in?

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks
Turned out nice again!

Comments

• sagefly
    Is it that bad, really?
    :oops:
    Turned out nice again!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I didn't reply cos I didn't know the answer. If you look on Shimano Tech docs for the exploded diagram of your mech and make a note of the part number you can then google for it.

I do know the upper and lower jockey wheels are different; you might have to buy them as a pair.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Jockey wheels come as a pair - if your LBS doesn't have them in stock, expect they can get them in a couple of days. There are aftermarket ones available from Tacx and KCNC prices from a tenner to....depends on how much you like carbon and ceramic bearings?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    They do come as pairs. BBB Rollerboys are as good as and BDP-02 for Shimano 9X
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • sagefly wrote:
    Is it that bad, really?
    :oops:

Shimano Jockeys do wear out, I made some ninja stars out of mine :lol:167854_497407941104_632816104_6433402_5009417_n.jpg
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • sagefly
    Guys thanks for the replies.

I take it that Shimano jockey wheels aren't the most durable. The TACX ones look the go

I'll have more stupid questions on other stuff later...................

Feel free to give advice and point out my stupidity!!
    Turned out nice again!
  • It took 6800 miles to make that ninja star
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • sagefly
    Mine have a way to go before I can sell then to Phantom Agents!!
    Turned out nice again!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They do come as pairs. BBB Rollerboys

These are good - well under a tenner (less than the Shimano cheapo jockey wheels that come as standard) irrc and with proper sealed bearings rather than nasty plastic bushes that sieze up.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Was just pondering if not changing them for 6800 was neglect...And it made me think, do the jockeys actually contribute to chain wear? The chain ring does as it is constantly opposing the force of the cassette, so the chain is in perpetual tension between the cassettte and chainring and as a result chain stretches which then weares the teeth which then stretches chain further etc.

The jockeys on the other hand do not risist the chain at all and are there merely to pick up the slack in the chain. So in effect does that mean jockey wear doesnt necessitate replacement as early as elsewhere? It wasnt the wear of the teeth that forced my change it was the amount of play in the bearings that made me change. Hope you dont see this as a hijack discussion
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • sagefly
    Its all worthwhile, I was wondering why there are teeth on the jockey wheels after all they only tension the chain......
    Turned out nice again!
  • I suppose you need the teetth for alignment purposes. Top one aligns with cassette boone with chain ring
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The top jockey wheel plays a part in lining up the chain to the sprocket, so when the bearings get worn and the wheel is slopping sideways, the gear changes can suffer.

Presumably the teeth help ensure the precise alignment of chain and jockey wheels to keep the chain central with no rubbing as it passes through the rear mech cage.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    as the chain pitch increases with wear i expect it has the same effect onthe jockey wheel, cuasing the star shape.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I have a 9 speed Tiagra rear mech, which has some slight scratches from clipless moments, and have taken off the jockey wheels a couple of times to clean and grease them. The bushes are metal not plastic and it all seems to be working well, they spin very freely - so I'm leaving it alone. However I bought a new rear mech in a sale for less than a tenner, and will swap the whole thing when it needs it.

So depending what your future intentions are for your bike you might be as well changing like for like or upgrading the mech rather than messing about with jockey wheels.