'Special' Cantilever Brake Tool

jimcameron
jimcameron Posts: 199
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen this tool that has been used in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEl3yh0Cos

It looks like a fairly simple but effective tool to hold you canti's in place while you adjust them, however i cannot find it on the net. Does anybody know what the name of it is or maybe where you can get one that is similiar?

Cheers
Jim

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Have you seen how old that vid appears to be?

MTBs don't use canti anymore (superceeded by Vs, then Discs) - only CX riders really.

Pretty much sure they were/are rubbish anyway - I seem to remember using one once.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    MTBs don't use canti anymore.....Pretty much sure they were/are rubbish anyway

plenty still out there on commuters, pub bikes and MTBs used for 'leaisure'

no, not great, espscially in the wet!
  • Chunkers1980
    tsenior you seem to have misunderstood.

This is MTB forum. Clearly people still use Cantis - just not on new proper MTBs.

The dude is asking about the tool - not whether canti's are any good. You seem to have cut out the middle part....
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    See if you can find a Park BT-5, they don't make them anymore but that'll do the job
  • Sorry guys, i should have clarified it's on my cross bike. I posted this on the road forum too as i get the feeling i could get help from both roadies and MTB'rs.

But yeah not looking for opinions on cantis for MTB's...more if anyone has seen used etc that tool. I know the video is old but i jsut imagined that the tool would be fairly common...
  • Chunkers1980
    As I said, I seem to remenber using one once and it was not much use.

Moons ago when I used Canti's I used a Tektro hanger (think Mojo did similar) easier to setup than the hangers in the vid with the big nut. You cut the cable short attach to the hanger and then have another separate cable that goes between the levers

Just align the blocks with some toe-in
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its pretty pointless TBH. Just set up each block without the cable attached, then tie it all together after.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    supersonic wrote:
    Third hand tool?

Yeah, and the 4th hand tool was a cable stretcher