Upgrade bike or new bike?

Kamzter
Kamzter Posts: 191
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
I am stuck in the position of either updgrading parts on my current baby or with the money I would of used upgrading it, use it towards buying another say secondhand £500 (new price £1000) bike and doing this up as a trainer/winter bike?

I know there are a lot of, 'what do you already have and what do you want' questions but really not sure what to do.
At present I only use one bike for all, what would you do? lol
40 mph in a 30 zone officer? nah, I've only been out for the last 5 minutes !!

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I'm faced with the same issue at the moment. I need to replace the entire drive-train on the road bike and it's going to cost me upwards of £600 for an Ultegra groupset. The LBS has an Ultegra equipped flat bar road bike in stock for £799 and, as it's a 2010 model, I think this could be squeezed.

Bob
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    depends on whether what you have is worth upgrading or whether you'll spend more.

2nd poster - sounds like its a buy the flat bar, swap the Ultegra onto your and either sell the flat bar sans groupset or put your old stuff or other second hand stuff on it and you'll have a net outlay well below the £600.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    t4tomo wrote:
    depends on whether what you have is worth upgrading or whether you'll spend more.

2nd poster - sounds like its a buy the flat bar, swap the Ultegra onto your and either sell the flat bar sans groupset or put your old stuff or other second hand stuff on it and you'll have a net outlay well below the £600.

If only it were that easy. The probable way forward would be to buy the new bike and xfer the Ultegra drive train components onto the roadbike. Then xfer the (virtually new) XT drive-train from the current flat-bar onto the new frame before 'junking' the 15 year old flat bar frame.

It's a plan.

Not one that that the family treasurer agrees with, but it's a plan!

Bob
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Kamzter wrote:
    I am stuck in the position of either updgrading parts on my current baby or with the money I would have used upgrading it, use it towards buying another say secondhand £500 (new price £1000) bike and doing this up as a trainer/winter bike?

I know there are a lot of, 'what do you already have and what do you want' questions but really not sure what to do.
    At present I only use one bike for all, what would you do? lol
    Good luck with that decision, but I'm out. :D
  • Kamzter
    Kamzter Posts: 191
    pmsl, cheers Gizmodo, great ruddy help !! lol
    40 mph in a 30 zone officer? nah, I've only been out for the last 5 minutes !!