Continental Mountain kings

mar_k
mar_k Posts: 323
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
anyone used these tyres before?

what are they like?

out of the above and NobbyNIcs what would you rather for Trails and xc?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Mk1 or 2?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Definitely avoid those ones, wire bead cheapo compound jobs. The higher spec ones (race sport & protection) are very good though. The Mk 2s and nobby nics have a very similar tread pattern. I prefer the conti mk2 race sports over the NNs personally, but lots swear by the NNs.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Post edit- still avoid. Unless its a pub hack wire tyres are always a bad investment IMHO.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    I've got one of these on the back of my full sus, or its similar anyway.

Honestly, not a bad tyre, not for the price anyway. Its all I could afford at the time, spent a bit more on a Highroller on the front, which is a lot better. Basically, you cant get much better for the money, but that doesnt make it particularly good.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    Not great as a front tyre. A bit unpredictable and prone to washing out. Probably adequate on the rear.

Replaced the front one on my Hardtail with a High Roller, much better.
    Shot by both sides...
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I've done a lot of miles on mountain kings, cheap ones from halfords, and never had any major issues. For the price, can't grumble.
    Will admit they seemed a bit wishy washy last week down a local steep wet grassy bank, but to be fair, it was very slippy...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Useless tyres. Very small for 2" as well, mine measured 1.7"
    Wire bead tyres are fine as long as you get good ones, I find they don't pinch as easily as folding tyres.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I had a set of the top-end, black chili, all singing all dancing ones. They were, if i'm being charitable, OK. Not very grippy, not very fast, not very light for their not very big size. But not actually terrible. The non-black-chili ones are pish, but still not quite down to the inviting-pain level of some cheapo tyres. Still, it's not hard to find something better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    They are good on dry hard pack , lots of fun in the wet as they offer very little grip . :lol: for a tyre that comes up not so wide it is surprising how little grip it offers.
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    I've used these on my last 3 bikes. Good all round tyre in my opinion, although I do find myself swapping to a Maxxis Minion on the front for wet and muddy rides