the fred

speshsteve
speshsteve Posts: 352
well I sent off my entry on the 4th, again as a 1st time rider and I got back my SAE today telling me:

My entry arrived after the close date!!!! What the hell, it was sent 1st class and I live near London...i.e. the post around here is very reliable its not as if I live in the depths of the scottish highlands.

So rant over, I can't be bothered with this event 3 times I have tried to enter and no entry. I'm sure they won't miss me, just seems like an over complex and I think this makes the sense of hard done by.Online and 1st come 1st served can't be simpler or more transparent and ensures that those keen to ride make the effort to be 1st in the queue.

Off to plan other events in prep of marmotte!
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2
Giant TCX
Canyon Grandcanyon 29er

Comments

• ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Online entry = more cost = less money for the charities

Unless you have a tame computer whizz to hand, but even then, hosting costs for something that can handle a barrage of entries on one day will be more than a simple "look at me" website.

Just guessing, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were their rationale.

And yes, sorry, I'm in so I'm not cross.... :?
  • I've calmed down now, amazing what a bottle of red can do :)

Enjoy the event...you lucky &^^(*Y(^(^(^(!!!!!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    In the past I have also tried entering and failed. I have been told that unless you can immediately hand deliver your entry or use the services of a courier you almost have no chance.

When I failed, I went off and entered the Etape Calidonian that year, however as the Etape now closes well before the Fred ever opens its entry, I have to concentrate on that.

Personally I would like to see the Fred properly developed into a partial road closure event with a much larger number of entrants.
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    stedman wrote:
    I have been told that unless you can immediately hand deliver your entry or use the services of a courier you almost have no chance.
    Pre-2010 I think that was true when it was 1st come, 1st served but I'm in this year and was in 2010 and 2011, all with postal entries sent 1st class about a week before the closing date. Perhaps that just proves that the post office in the UK is somewhat less efficient than it should be! (And yes that I'm quite lucky with entries)
    stedman wrote:
    see the Fred properly developed into a partial road closure event with a much larger number of entrants
    I can see your point, but I don't think that will ever happen. The Lake District is too much of a h/moneypot for non-cyclists and the Fred route covers almost all of it. No way the council/police etc. will close those roads just for a few cyclists.

I wish all those who missed out good luck next time!
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    ded wrote:
    stedman wrote:
    see the Fred properly developed into a partial road closure event with a much larger number of entrants
    I can see your point, but I don't think that will ever happen. The Lake District is too much of a h/moneypot for non-cyclists and the Fred route covers almost all of it. No way the council/police etc. will close those roads just for a few cyclists.

They already manage it on a significant main road out of Kendle for a local running marathon, however I am not suggesting a full road closure event, but if they closed the hardknott / wrynose pass road for this event, that would make a massive difference.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Even if you closed Hardknott and Wrynose to cars, there are plenty of other narrow sections. This will be my first participation for 5 years and at that time it was a much smaller field. I would guess that 1400 is an absolute maximum and any more would be difficult even on closed roads. As it is now, it's a lottery as to whether or not you get up Hardknott because of dismounted cyclists walking up the middle of the road. Demand is high because it is the no1 event in the country in terms of prestige, difficulty and atmosphere!
  • I guess i was lucky to get in first attempt this year.
    Im starting to get a bit worried now though as its not that far away and I dont think I have done enough base miles this winter.
    I only started cycling last June to do a few triathlons and did some club 10 mile TTs, so I have no real underlying muscle memory to call on. No riding from September to start of January and since then, 220 miles in 4 rides plus a weekly 1.5hr turbo session.
    Of that 220, I did one long, lone ride of 99 miles in January, 1300m of climbing with an average speed of 16.1mph which i was pleased with and the 70 mile Kentish Killer last weekend, 1800m of climbing in 4.58 hours. (Avg moving speed of 14.6mph). I was a bit dissapointed with that time and now I have got flu, so no training this weekend.
    There is quite a step up between 70 mile and 1800m climbing to 108mile and 3500m climbing for the FW.
    So with just 11 weeks to go, have those who have done it got any advice on how much and what sort of training i need to put in now?

I am also booked for the Marmotte in July so the fred will be a good indicator for that i suppose, but i still want to do well in it for its own sake.

Thanks,
    BM
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Hi BM

You'll suffer in the latter half of the Fred if you are a recent beginner to cycling. I dont know your background in regards to fitness but I have seen the fittest of riders dismount on the slopes of Hardknott. As Nick says its a lottery if you get up with the traffic and other people walking but its possible if your carefull. I have done this event 6 times and it does not get any easier. I had been cycling seriously and had several trips abroad before I tackled the Fred for the 1st time and found it the toughest day out that I had so far but also the best.

It has the best atmoshpere of any British event and you never feel alone on this event and there are as many novices as there are experienced riders. You'll enjoy it I guarantee.

I would suggest getting in as much long hilly rides as possible between now and then without burning yourself ou.

PS I found the Marmotte even tougher but then I was going a gold time (which I got :wink: ). I
    Brian B.
  • Thanks Brian,

it's as I feared then, perhaps a little more than I can chew!
    How does this sound for a training plan to start off with?
    A long hilly sunday ride, starting off at 70 miles and building to 130 miles closer to the event. Monday & tuesday rest then a steady turbo session on wednesday eve that can be replaced by a ride as the evenings lighten. Thursday rest then a 40/50 mile ride at a good pace on Friday afernoon/eve as I can finish work early on a Friday.

My other issue is weight. 3 weeks ago I was 90kg and now down to 87kg. I plan to get to 82kg for the FW and if possible without starving myself too much, 80kg. Then aim to get to 76kg by july for the Marmotte.
    Oh and my bike weighs 10kg, but that requires cash to sort it out!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Your training plan looks sound and the only thing I can add is perhaps if you have the time to do a 30 min recovery ride on the Monday just to take the lactic out of the leg after the long Sunday run. Plus eat recovery meal right after your big run - anything you eat in the first 30mins after a long ride does not trigger a fat response from your body and you'll feel the benefit from it. Get some caffine gels for the last 40miles and dont be shy about using them on the day.

Your focusing on the right things - weight from youreslf is the easiet way to upgrade and get better/quicker on the hills. I am a big lad and was 97kg(and not really visibly carrying much fat)when I first did the Fred and managed Hardknott almost a decade ago. I am now at 83kg(and pretty lean now - too lean the doc says when I got food poisoning last year and suffered and breifly dropped to 75kg) and at that weight found all hills much easier.

Dont worry about biting off more than you can chew - there will be a lot less prepared than you. For me there are only 2 hills to worry about - Honister at 50miles and Hardknott at 100mile but if you are fit and have adequate gears they are doable. They are steeper than your average very steep hill and can push your muscles into cramp mode due to the effort. Most people if they can cycle them only climb at a snails pace so if you have to walk then you wont be losing much time and there will be plenty other people walking.

The other hills are steep but slow and steady is the key to the Fred. Most riders if they want to get round without walking keep their efforts in the red zone to a minimum for the whole route to keep something in reserve for Hardknott. Even if you just want to get round then thats a sound piece of advice. I have done other UK events as tough as the Fred or tougher but I did not get the sense of achievement from as finishing the Fred. Anybody who does it then should feel proud.
    Brian B.