Shimano XT Rims off my Zesty 714 - Struggling to fit Tyres

dduffs
dduffs Posts: 107
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi - I have purchased a set of Fat Albert 2.4 tyres (Snakeskin triple nano) to fit on the rims above from my Lapierre Zesty 714. I'm really struggling to get the tyres to fit on the rims true. You can see that the tyres are not fitting properly on the rims, as much as I try I can't seem to get them to fit correctly. Any advice most welcome......P.S - I am fitting inner tubes, not tubeless. Thanks
Riding: Orange Stage 4

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    soapy water around the edges, pump up to higher pressure and they will snap into place
  • dduffs
    ok cheers, I can get them on the rims ok, its just that they don't snap it too place, I'll give it a go in pumping them up to a higher pressure, cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Really high, like 60psi.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dduffs
    ok, thanks for the advice, I give it a go
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Why bother with tubes? Wasn't it running tubeless when you got it?

Surely no need for the tyres to 'snap' into place if you have tubes in there
  • dduffs
    only bought it 2nd hand in december and it had tubes then, never ran tubeless so just continued with the tubes when trying to switch over the tyres. The tyres don't "hug" the outer rim in some parts when i pump them up and therefore don't run true, in fact the wheel spins as if I have a really bad buckled wheel (which i haven't). You can see that the outer line of the tyre goes inside the rim in some parts.....
  • dduffs
    The washing up liquid and extra pressure, worked a treat....Many thanks