Scott Scale 29 Comp vs Jamis Dragon 29 Sport

Chazaxl
Chazaxl Posts: 24
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
So, been looking at getting a bike on the cycle to work scheme, £1K limit basically. Despite the VAT rule changes, its still basically worth buying the most expensive bike (within reason), especially as a higher rate tax payer.

Im hoping to go see these bikes soon at Evans. These 2 stand out from the fairly endless research and reading that I have done.

Ill then hand my GT Agressor 3 to my eldest. A bike that has seen less than 60 miles in its life since 2010, something I want to change!

So, im around 18.8 stone (260 pounds / 118 kg), just shy of 6 foot, so overweight (big bones aside ;p). Looking for something that I can ride to work and also around the local forest which is basically our backyard. Its a nature reserve type place .... good fun.

Basically this - http://www.healeydell.org.uk/ is my backyard, we live less than 50 meters from the entrance to this area.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chazaxl
    In the same breath, best bike for up to £1K, has to be with Evans (cycle to work scheme)? Hard tail preferred, FS perhaps ... but prefer getting better quality hard tail than a 'cheap' FS bike.
  • Chazaxl wrote:
    In the same breath, best bike for up to £1K, has to be with Evans (cycle to work scheme)? Hard tail preferred, FS perhaps ... but prefer getting better quality hard tail than a 'cheap' FS bike.

I came across this earlier looking for something else. you might find it usefull. I know it was done for a $1000 bike test but it seams to look at the bikes you mention.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... 1000-30433
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • Chazaxl
    Chazaxl wrote:

I came across this earlier looking for something else. you might find it usefull. I know it was done for a $1000 bike test but it seams to look at the bikes you mention.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... 1000-30433

Thanks - checking that now - had seem similar but not this review.
  • Chazaxl
    Well, read through the reviews, mixed feelings about the bikes, moreso as the specs change year on year. Can anyone comment about the quality of the hardware on either these 2 29ers or perhaps the Felt 9 / Cannondale 2012 29ers?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Problem with 29ers is the cost and lack of parts at the moment. Anything specific seems to be way more expensive than 'normal'
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chazaxl
    Thanks. Any comment about the quality of the kit on these 2 bikes in general terms or am I really better off getting a cheaper 26 or nicer 26 for the same kind of money?

Perhaps Im just pissing against the wind - my GT Aggressor 3 has been 'enough' but not even close in terms of quality.
  • Chazaxl
    Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'd go with the scott
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Chazaxl
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I'd go with the scott

Thanks - for what reason if I can ask? The Jamis gear looks good.

The other issue is that the local store doesnt have the Scott in stock but they may have similar to view and can order one in.

Thanks for the info.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I like Scott, Always really high quality, their warranty's are fantastic and well.........it looks faster :wink:

I've had 7 Scotts, never had a problem, other than the rider :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Chazaxl
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I like Scott, Always really high quality, their warranty's are fantastic and well.........it looks faster :wink:

I've had 7 Scotts, never had a problem, other than the rider :roll:

I like the look of the Scott too - the Jamis is not built to be looked at.

Going to Evans in the morning to go look see, will report back.
  • Chazaxl
    The biggest issue about the Scott is the fork. The Jamis' fork is vastly better from what I can tell and many of the other items are also as good, if not better.
  • Chazaxl
    Went to my LBS, had a Jamis in stock but it was still boxed. Had a quick chat to the guy helping me, looked at another 29er to get a feel for things.

Going to apply for my voucher tomorrow and go for the Jamis, its ahead of most others in this price range in terms of gear ...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Jamis is the better specced, no doubt there.
  • Chazaxl
    supersonic wrote:
    The Jamis is the better specced, no doubt there.

Thanks - just added you on MSN if you about for a quick chat please?
  • Chazaxl
    Got the Jamis today - will give an amateur report back after the weekend.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    BTW, my MSN is fooked!
  • Chazaxl
    No prob - just wanted to ask a few questions - nothing serious. Bike is bought now - will be a new set of questions next ...
  • J3w3ll3r
    J3w3ll3r Posts: 86
    Hello

Did u ever write that review

I am serious considering the Jamis Dragon or the Charge Cooker Hi, just wonder how you are finding it

Many thank

Stephen