Conti Barons, black chilli & normal

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited January 2012 in MTB general
So, just bought a pair of 2.3 black chilli barons, then thought, would I be better doing like people do with high rollers, ie. super tacky up front - normal on rear....

So, should i get some normal barons for the back, and use the black chilli's up the front?

Anybody using this combo etc?

Comments

• evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Not used the Barons but have been using the X-Kings. Black Chilli front and back with out a doubt.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Agreed, contis tyres in non black chilli are average at best.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    both blk chillies. like ^^^^ says standard conites aint very good,, blk chillies are pretty impressive,,
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    DodgeT wrote:
    So, just bought a pair of 2.3 black chilli barons, then thought, would I be better doing like people do with high rollers, ie. super tacky up front - normal on rear....

So, should i get some normal barons for the back, and use the black chilli's up the front?

Anybody using this combo etc?

Research before you purchase tyres not after you twonk!!!!!
    (Black chillis are good btw) super tacky is to slow for trail centre riding imo.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    I knew the black chilli's were good :)
    Been struggling to find info on the normal versions though. To be fair, at around £12 for a normal baron, i'm tempted to just get one and see what its like on the back anyway. Then, if it is OK for rear use, i've got 2 nice grippy ones for the front, should keep me in tyres for a little while.
    If its no good, just swap it straight back for the chilli.
  • 1mancity2
    Get a high roller or ardent for the back 60a maxxpro 2.35, normal chillis ain't great bud
  • 1mancity2
    I have a part worn high roller you can try see if you like it then buy one bud
  • DodgeT
    might take you up on that :)
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    i had black chilli rubber queens tubeless for 6 weeeks. amazing tyres but the rear kept blowing off the rim and the side wall mis shaped. :(
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    not suprised, i seen the way you ride. or should that be the things you ride..... jedi is hardcore.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OK I've only done a very quick ride on my Baron (chili flavour) and tbh, my thinking is, I'm never putting one on the back of any bike that has to go up hills... Feels good on the front though but it's a bit of a cog.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    Think I may fit them both tonight just to see how big they are, apparently the bigger, ie 2.3 & 2.4 conti's come up quite big..

Surprised you'd even consider going tubless jedi, i'd of thought you'd be burping all over the place the stuff you do.
    Saying that, your landing technique is prob a tad better than mine :lol:
  • DodgeT
    Northwind wrote:
    OK I've only done a very quick ride on my Baron (chili flavour) and tbh, my thinking is, I'm never putting one on the back of any bike that has to go up hills... Feels good on the front though but it's a bit of a cog.

This is the kind of stuff I want to hear.. So, there could be method in putting a normal, ie less sticky tyre on the back then..
  • Northwind
    I think so. Course, your mileage may vary... Black chili does roll well for its stickyness though
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    What did you mean by "bit of a cog" ?
  • Northwind
    Basically rather than rolling smoothly along, you can feel it tipping from one knob to the next- more like a cog than a circle. Not a problem, obviously, it's quite common in mud/loose conditions tyres but it does make it more draggy
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Jedi
    i been using schwalbe hans dampfs the past 2 weeks and at 35psi i cant make them burp. even when whipping the back end out of a big drop and leaving the back end out deliberately
  • DodgeT
    Silly question time.... just fitting the barons, which bllomin direction do they go in?? There's no markers on the tyres..

edit to say - found it, it was underneath germany..... :D
  • DodgeT
    Well, that was the quickest tyre change ever.. Put one on, expected them to be half decent size, its tiny in comparison to the clutch control 2.3 already on, so its come back off and in the box.
    I thought conti's usually were good for the size?
    It's actualy smaller than the 2.2 purgatory on the back.
  • Northwind
    DodgeT wrote:
    I thought conti's usually were good for the size?

Conti are the most legendarily inaccurate unfortunately. 2.4 Mountain Kings that measure under 2.2, 2.2 Rubber Queens that are bigger than 2.4 Mountain Kings, etc. Maxxis are at least a bit consistent.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    Except for the 2.1 high roller exception i had which was like a 1.5 :)
  • Northwind
    Aye, but like I say, consistent- all the highrollers and almost the models that share their sizing are undersized. (annoyingly the 2.7 measures 2.5, 2.5 measures 2.3, 2.35 measures just over 2.1, everything is one size too small)

Then, with the new tyres with 2.4, 2.25, etc they are more accurate, and comparable. So you know frinstance that a Maxxis 2.25 will most likely be bigger than a 2.35. So it's not ideal but you can work out approximately what you'll get.

Conti on the other hand... No obvious pattern. Measured by a blind man with a rubber ruler, on a galloping horse. Not always the same blind man either.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Heeeeey wait a minute... I measured my Baron on a DT E540 and it's almost as big as it should be, 2.28 from corner to corner.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    I've just measured the purgatory and its bang on 2.25 knob to knob, the baron was just a smidge under that width. It's not going back on again though to measure properly..
    On a 26mm roval btw.
  • Jedi
    conti are way big for their size, maxxis are tiny and schwalbe are about right
  • Northwind
    Jedi wrote:
    conti are way big for their size, maxxis are tiny and schwalbe are about right

Well... Nah, not so simple. Like, my 2.4 Mountain King was tiny, and a 2.25 Ardent's about right IIRC. Old Maxxis are titchy.

But why in the name of bob are my 2.5 Swampthings and my 2.35 Swampthings exactly the same size? Fffffuuuuuuuuu
    DodgeT wrote:
    On a 26mm roval btw.

That'd make sense, my Traversees are a wee bit skinnier internally than my E540.
    Uncompromising extremist