What do the rich do (in the US)?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    So the American health system makes doctors very rich - who'd have thunk?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    1% is a pretty big number.

I wonder how it changes for 0.5% or 0.1%?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

if you look closely though, finance type jobs split across many different categories, so the total might be more than it appears just from the visual.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Globally the 1% is those who earn > ~£26,000.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    The difference might be that Doctors etc. don't trade risky debts and keep managing to make (a lot of) money despite helping contribute to the biggest depression (in most people's) living memory.

A simplified view yes, but nevermind.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Reading the article here http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/busin ... f=business
    suggests that the top "1%" refers to the top 1% of earners*. Doctors in the US can have very large earnings but have to pay very large insurance premiums out of them. It's not at all clear that the earnings used in that assessment are net of the directs costs related to those earnings

* According to the article, the top 1% ranges from incomes of $380,000 per annum upwards. To the Bill Gates/Warren Buffet billions. Pretty big group.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    I'd expect finance to be fairly well represented over there - they earn decent money from what I've seen, the financial sector is pretty large and accountants are everywhere...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]