judy sl 2001 Service part missing (Glide ring)

giblets
giblets Posts: 37
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
just got round to servicing the 2001 Judy SL's on my 'hack', they were serviced once about 5 years ago by an LBS in Leeds.

Other than the damaged foam ring/dust seal in one, I have noticed something else which I believe is missing (on the same side, not sure if that is related), namely the piston glide ring, though I can't find a decent picture of one to determine if it is this part.

Edit: Pretty sure I have now found a picture, and it does appear to be the glide ring that is missing

Basically the damper and plunger side assembly's look very similar. But one has a brown plastic ring around it, which meants it fits snuggly in the upper tube, meaning I had to push it out, the other (without the brown ring) simply dropped out.

Is this the piston glide ring? (the service guides specifically states that you should be careful not to damage it), so guessing the LBS may have broken it and just stuck it back in?

If it is missing, should I/ can I:
a:Get a replacement part? (I can't seem to locate it in any of the service kits) (can I order the sole part from an LBS? How much will it cost?)
b:Bearing in mind it's a hack,( used round town, and occasionally by friends visiting on relatively gentle off road rides), and has been operating without the part for several years, ignore the part and stick it back together?

Many thanks
Giant Trance X4 (2010)

Comments