Petrol v Diesel

Comments

• mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    A guy who uses a car forum I use works for a very well known Tuner,
    He also used to work for VOSA and has said that the DPF is probably the stupiest thing that cars are fitted with.
    The reason being is that the DPF collects the larger particles and only lets through the smallest particles which infact do us more harm.
    The particles it lets through are so small that they can be absorbed through our clothes and through our skin, which can potentialy cause cancer.

Apparently VOSA want them done away with but our goverment wants them to stay
  • mar_k
    quoted from the other site I use.............

There was some serious concerns over the paticle sizes allowed though dpf units when I worked at vosa, they say the particles that come through are so small they can br absorbed through the skin and cause cancer and can be fatal.

It's strange how things go full circle, the emissions are now so tight they produce dangerous emissions, where as the old particles were so big they would bounce up the road, but not kill anyone,
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:
    Skoda Yeti. Job done.

but a petrol or diesel one :?

This one. Yeah, it's uncool, and ugly as sin. It'd do the job though.
    On your mileage I'd say it'll probably about break even financially. Sure, you get horror stories about every engine (I can think of 3 for that 2.0 TDI CR VAG engine...) but frankly it's pot luck one way or t'other. I'd be looking at diesels in that car 'cos I can't find a sensibly priced petrol that's bigger than the 1.2 (which I'd expect to be too slow, but why not try it, eh?)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:

Blimey, you've even found one that is close enough to me to consider - you guys are good.

I did consider a couple of Skoda's - the Superb is well screwed together, but too big for me and has got a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. The Octavia VRS was an absolute hoot to drive, but had seats that made me want to vomit and kinda screamed 'mid-life crisis'. Hadn't considered a Yeti.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    davis wrote:

Blimey, you've even found one that is close enough to me to consider - you guys are good.

I did consider a couple of Skoda's - the Superb is well screwed together, but too big for me and has got a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp. The Octavia VRS was an absolute hoot to drive, but had seats that made me want to vomit and kinda screamed 'mid-life crisis'. Hadn't considered a Yeti.

That Yeti is very very ugly though!

We're about to change the family car, I've read this whole thread and I still don't know what's better, Petrol or Diesel?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    davis wrote:

That Yeti is very very ugly though!

We're about to change the family car, I've read this whole thread and I still don't know what's better, Petrol or Diesel?

Horses for courses.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mar_k wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've got a friend who chips and tunes cars. On one of his cars, he has various different maps, depending on how he wants to drive that day. One of his maps is an economy map that takes the engine down from a potential of 500bhp down to ~80bhp.

He doesn't always want to drive like his hair is on fire!

May I ask what car your friend owns
    Nissan 200SX S13 Manual (loads of upgrades. ~80 - ~500bhp depending on map being used)
    Nissan 200SX S13 Auto (standard apart from ss exhaust and aftermarket rear spoiler)
    Nissan 200SX S14 Manual (bog standard I think)
    Mercedes E class Auto (bog standard)

He tunes professionally and I'll point you to his website if you want.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    FWIW:

The global refining system is short diesel and long gasoline and this trend looks set to continue. All things being equal (important caveat - government could mess this up with tax changes) - diesel should continue to rise in cost versus petrol. Current cost savings from diesel are likely to erode somewhat.

FWIW2:

We own a 535D which does about 10k miles per year. I reckon we'd be better with a petrol but there are so few petrol models of those kind of cars around (unless you go for the bonkers M5/S6 sort of things which defeat the point).

I'm amazed by the comment someone made by a 330D being feeble when the turbo is off boost. Our car seems to have stupid torque available at all times. Admittedly it has a two turbos including a low boost one which must be on most of the time (the 330/530 only has one) but still...
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    jedster wrote:
    I reckon we'd be better with a petrol

Why?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mar_k wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    mar_k wrote:
    what year is your car?
    The reason I ask is DPF filters didnt have to be fitted to cars until 2009,
    A few car companies started fitting then earlier than '09 as they anticipated the rule change, however not too long before '09. Your car most likey doesnt have a DPF if it was made before '07.

Really?

I know the 1.6 and 2.0 l versions of my car (2005-) both had DPFs. Mine might be one of the 'few', but it's not like Ford are a minor company!

Ford did fit them to the Focus and C-max for some stupid reason

i have one in my 57 plate signum aswell
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My 55 Volvo is a Ford by any other name and has a DPF.
  • mar_k
    Im not saying older cars wont have them, but they certainly wasnt fitted to alot of cars pre 07.

It only officially come in, in '09

EKE_38BPM please do point me in the direction of your friends site.
    Very intrested in this kind of thing.
  • EKE_38BPM
    www.fctuning.com for all of your tuning needs.

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What do insurance companies make of that kind of thing?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    http://www.fctuning.com for all of your tuning needs.

Warning guys. I visited this site and my anti-virus (Kaspersky Internet Security) reported something nasty. Might just be that it is being picky but might be best to be sure of your anti-virus before visiting. If someone cleverer than I can verify the site is virus-free I'd be happy to withdraw this comment.
  • EKE_38BPM
    bails87 wrote:
    What do insurance companies make of that kind of thing?

My mate says he pays about £300 fully comp and he's insured to drive any car that is already insured. Sheila's Wheels may frown upon it, but Adrian Flux is more open to highly tuned cars.

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Warning guys. I visited this site and my anti-virus (Kaspersky Internet Security) reported something nasty. Might just be that it is being picky but might be best to be sure of your anti-virus before visiting. If someone cleverer than I can verify the site is virus-free I'd be happy to withdraw this comment.

Fine for me, but I'll let him know.

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Fine for me, but I'll let him know.

Thanks EKE. I'm sure he won't have realised and hope it isn't just my anti-virus being overly cautious.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The page wouldn't even load for me, which is odd.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    He's checked and says its fine. He's a Mac man and
    My mate wrote:
    It's a shitty pc thing.

I have to say it is very cool watching him fine tuning a car's fueling on the road with his laptop. Can you imagine driving your car with someone else in charge of the throttle as they fiddle with the map? Very Fast and Furious and more than a little bit Formula 1!

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    We sell a gizmo barely any bigger than a credit card that connects up to the injectors and you can modify the fuelling from inside the car. We only do them for MX5s but the sceptics do them for other things and motorbikes. I was trying to get them introduced over here but they weren't sure there would be sufficient demand. Very dull.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Veronese68 wrote:
    We sell a gizmo barely any bigger than a credit card that connects up to the injectors and you can modify the fuelling from inside the car. We only do them for MX5s but the sceptics do them for other things and motorbikes. I was trying to get them introduced over here but they weren't sure there would be sufficient demand. Very dull.

Yup. I had one on my Rover 75 (don't laugh, great car) with an on-dashboard switch that would change the map between economy, normal and hooligan. The difference was astonishing.

Generally speaking the tuning maps for Turbodiesels work by over-fuelling at lowe revs (I believe)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yup. I had one on my Rover 75 (don't laugh, great car) with an on-dashboard switch that would change the map between economy, normal and hooligan. The difference was astonishing.

Generally speaking the tuning maps for Turbodiesels work by over-fuelling at lowe revs (I believe)

Plug in boxes basically change the common rail pressure sensor only - fools the ecu into thinking there is less pressure than there actually is, i.e. the rail is over pressurised and hence overfuelled.

A remap, generally changes all of the sensor tolerances - manifold pressure, turbo pressue, high and low pressure fuel pumps (mine has both) and all of the associated 'cleanliness' sensors/MAF sensors.

Remap the engine is a more expensive, but more efficient way of getting economy and BHP gains. Plug in boxes have the advantage of being removed though (partucularly good if involved in a smash and the power increase is not declared on insurance).

In other news - Admiral are really good for remapped car insurance. I pay an extra £20 for the jump from 163bhp to 220bhp.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    gtvlusso wrote:
    [
    Plug in boxes basically change the common rail pressure sensor only - fools the ecu into thinking there is less pressure than there actually is, i.e. the rail is over pressurised and hence overfuelled.

A remap, generally changes all of the sensor tolerances - manifold pressure, turbo pressue, high and low pressure fuel pumps (mine has both) and all of the associated 'cleanliness' sensors/MAF sensors.

I just "read" this - as in my eyes formed words from letters and reassembled them into a sentence - but I only recognised a fraction of it as normal english.
    It reminded meof this
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    PBo wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    [

I just "read" this - as in my eyes formed words from letters and reassembled them into a sentence - but I only recognised a fraction of it as normal english.
    It reminded meof this

I do talk some boring b*ll*cks......most of the time, in fact. I Love engnieering, makes me very dull at dinner parties :-(
  • mar_k
    gtvlusso wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    [

It reminded meof this

I do talk some boring b*ll*cks......most of the time, in fact. I Love engnieering, makes me very dull at dinner parties :-(

They used to sell those crappy resistors that fooled the Maf sensor and basicly made the car run on 'choke'
    Resistors that cost less than a penny were being sold on the bay for £10,
    No performance improvement at all, just a much higher fuel consumption
  • London and South East face petrol shortage after refinery closure. I guess this might mean that petrol prices may rise?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I read the following

"I had" and "Rover 75"
    laughing%20emoticon.jpg

That's a Grandads car...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I read the following

"I had" and "Rover 75"
    That's a Grandads car...

They are great cars and if Clarkson had rated them on the TV programme as highly as he did in print things might have lasted a bit longer.

Yeah, Grandad with a smallblock V8........

Besides - you'll probably be a grandad in 20 years... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Certainly is! Bloody loved it. 50 to the gallon, submarine quiet and comfy as an armchair. BMW engine and cheap as chips when Rover folded.

I am you see confident with the size of my willy.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.