Silly Commuter Walking?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I had to leave my bike in work on Friday so seeing it was a nice crisp wintery morning i decided to walk to work

its 6 miles - along the route there are 100meter markers. OK this is really sad but i was timing my self between markers an got the time down to 56 seconds. This was without power walking or jogging (i was using the rules from the "unspeakable game" where if you show your a making an effort you have already lost)

i think i got my max speed to 4mph

legs are hurting now though

back on the bike tonight, this walking malarky is hard
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This would appear to be the answer to DDD's question of how to get to work during the Olympics.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I must admit but I didn't mind so much when I got a second puncture in one day and had to walk 6 miles home. It was a warm evening and I just kept my bike lights on when walking down the unlit country stretches. It was actually very relaxing and enjoyable

Bit tired at the end though - I'm really not used to walking any kind of distance.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Don't knock walking as a way to get fit - it's brill. I had to walk home from Aldwych to Holloway Rd once when I lived down south (4 miles) when the tube drivers were on strike, and surprised myself at how do-able it was - I did it in an hour.
    Did it the next day and the next, and just carried on - but you do have to stride, not stroll. I lost 4st in 4 months without even really trying - I certainly didn't diet. I still can't believe how quickly it came off - I had comments like "are you on Atkins?" and someone even asked me if I had a gastric band! If I can feel the pounds creeping on I still go for a long brisk walk a couple of nights a week to keep things shifting.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The muscles are certainly different. I know because I don't go walking as often as I like, and my legs hurt after only about 3-hours. I'm still fine in going up hill, just down.

To me, the bike feels about a third to a quarter of the effort of walking for a similar distance on the flat, possibly less - I'd find walking 6-miles a day on a commute quite trying.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011