Attraction of road riding

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Not trolling but I am trying to get my head around this and justify the purchase of yet another bike.

I currently ride a mtb and in trying to commute to work (17miles) everyone has advised me to get a road bike.

I see loads of people where I live (Ruislip) road ride but I have no idea where they go or where they ride to.

So, in summary what is the attraction to you of road riding, other than racing.

thanks

sam

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Do you ride the MTB to work? Not sure if you are commuting or just wanting to.

If you don't already ride, try the MTB and pick a nice route if poss, even if it adds an extra mile or two. You may find that whizzing along on tarmac in some lovely countryside makes you think "hey, this is great but if only I could go a bit faster...". Then you could buy some thinner/slicker tyres and see what that does (it will make your bike feel really great and make you wish that you could just keep going instead of going to work)...then after a few months it will be spring and time for a road bike so that you can come and join us roadies properly by ditching all that suspension/protective clothing stuff in the vain pursuit of going faster (which usually just means more suffering/expense...and not actually that faster anyway :) ).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's what I did. I had a light, steel, rigid MTB. Realised I was spending more time on the road than off. Put some slick tyres on it and found it a lot smoother / faster, but the big jumps between gears were starting to annoy me, as was the limited number of hand positions on the bars. Then one day when I felt I was going flat out, an elderly gent on a road bike breezed effortlessly past me.

I had to have a road bike! Lots of research and a decent bonus, and I took the plunge.

Here I am 4 years later, a lot fitter and faster, an entire wardrobe of lycra, and still loving it.

Do it; you'll not regret it.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Advantages of road cycling:

-faster
    -longer distances
    -consistency
    -smoother

I like going fast... its easier to find new places if you travel further... greater satisfaction from longer distances... easier to ride at a consistent pace... always found cross country riding too harsh.

also find the bikes more attractive -> but thats more of a personal thing?

29ers do look nice though.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    In my head I imagine that I look like a cross between Lance, Wiggins & Cav when I'm out on the bike. It may be that the reality differs, but for me I'm living the dream riding long distances at high speeds with the best of them.

Distances at decent speeds is what does it for me. Whenever mates have cajoled me into bouncing round a bit of woodland on a spare MTB it leaves a sense of frustration, & why am i doing this. Covering distance at speed. That's what it's about.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    All of the above, plus convenience.

There's nowhere around where I live where I can get some decent MTBing in, with out all the faffing around of chucking the bike in the car etc. There's a few trails from in the local woods, but nothing like heading out onto the moors / dales etc. With my road bike, I can cycle in some fantastic conutryside, as speed and put some good miles in, directly from my front door.

(Plus, I look great in lycra !!)

:lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I enjoy road riding less than MTBing, but more than I thought I would.

That said, my only road riding is commuting. I do my miles during the week (15 miles+ each way) which keeps me fit for when I go somewhere interesting on the MTB. Road riding is more consistent, it ranges between 'okay' and 'good', whereas a bad MTB ride can be hellish and a good one an unbeatable buzz.

My local MTB riding is crap, so I felt like CiB, frustrated. I know I could be somewhere good having fun, flying round berms, over drops and jumps, battering through rock gardens.....but instead it's muddy, it's drizzling and the flat bridleway I'm on has got yet another gate for me to open. Trying to keep doing it was turning MTBing into a chore, but now that I save the MTB for when it's really worth it I enjoy it more. Likewise I enjoy being on the road bike/slicked CX, it's always better than being sat at home doing nothing. Never quite the same rush as the best MTB descents, but enough to put a smile on my face. Even when it's fairly boring it's better to be bored at 20mph on the road bike than bored at 10mph on the MTB!

The simplicity of it is nice too, the MTB always needs cleaning, I can do a few hundred miles on the road bike in a few weeks and it just needs an occasional chain lube. If it's been raining the roads are essentially the same, whereas anywhere I'd want to MTB may have turned into a swamp.

It's very different to an MTB though. Slicks will help, but the difference really is significant, even when my CX doesn't weigh any less than my MTB, the whole setup is suited to being on the road so much more.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I dont know why i do it.

Maybe im competing against myself. The wife always asks me what i think about when im riding as im always out on my own, the honest answer is i couldnt tell you.

I just love being out in the fresh air. Im not pounding meaningless miles running and never really getting anywhere and the world around you changes quickly on a bike. It might also be wanting to push myself as hard as possible, for as long as possible. In the end its probably a bit of each.
  • I also MTB, has its place and is fun, but its not the same.
  • Agree with all the above. Comfort for me is a key thing. The road bike is professionally fitted so fits like a glove. Long rides are painless and fast. In winter the MTB comes out for the icy commutes(road tyres not knobblies) Im about 3-5mph slower and usually ache by the time I get to work (shoulders and arms mainly). Guessing I could reduce that by turning on front sus, but then that saps even more energy that doesnt get converted into speed

For the commute you want it quick and comfortable, a well fitted hybrid or road will do the job better than the MTB IMHO
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • samsbike
    thanks all, its very interesting.

Out of curiousity could I see a road bike on the canals pathways i.e. along the grand union canal or any other
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    You should be ok

cancellara_roubaix_2011.jpg
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Like many others have said, it can be a pain for me as there is nowhere local to ride my mtb other than the odd bridleway. I found myself on the road more often than not which is not ideal on a full sus, other than that it was down to loading up the car.

So I took the plunge and got a cheap road bike, I hated my first few outings on it if I'm honest but I stuck with it and soon started enjoying riding it. It wasn't long after though I realised I'd bought a bike which was too small for me, I didn't have a clue what to look for in a road bike as I was only used to mtb's and to be honest the shop where I bought my first road bike (a certain well known chain) weren't much/if any help at all when it came to fitting.

I got rid of that bike just the other month and now have a new road bike that fits me and it's great, my advice would be to do it if your serious but go to a shop where they are willing to spend a bit of time with you, fitting/sizing etc and are not just after your money.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,637
    CiB wrote:
    Distances at decent speeds is what does it for me.
    Yes. I also just enjoy the physical sensation of going fast, under my own steam, super-efficiently - no road noise, no engine noise (other than my own breathing).

And add to that:

Getting to see bits of the wonderful countryside round home I wouldn't bother going to when driving.
    Being able to beat the car commuters on the ride to and from work most of the time, and join them in breaking the speed limit (when there's a friendly wind).
    Saving significant sums of money on the car, and petrol, and parking.
    Being able to ride a beautifully engineered machine that weighs squit all but can put up with all that I put it through.
    Having a sport that I can do that not only won't knacker my knees, but is positively beneficial for them.
    Getting fitter than I've ever been.

Other than than, not much.
  • I started out with a full sus mtb and I tried really hard to kepp going fast but the weight/suspension/ me :) of the mtb was draining

Then i saw the light side. Road bikes = 1. FASTER !!! 2. easier 3. and most of all ten time more fun than having to get of a bike and haul it up a mountain zzzZZZZ for a 2 minute downhill thrill
    bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390
  • I dont know why i do it.

Maybe im competing against myself. The wife always asks me what i think about when im riding as im always out on my own, the honest answer is i couldnt tell you.

+1 .
  • woozor
    woozor Posts: 117
    i agree with all the above :D

From riding a mtb on the road and just using it for some training it was fine all be it slow and uncomfortable over long distances. However switching to a road bike and getting all the lycra, Well you just feel different class, plus the riding experience is 10x better.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I commute on a hybrid (triple) and have a roadbike (compact) for weekend fun.

The difference between these is chalk & cheese :!: The hybrid loaded with change of clothes, packed lunch etc feels heavy and sluggish. The road bike feels super light and super fast, is more comfortable and makes me grin from ear 2 ear. It covers distances easily and effortlessly and I even look forward to going uphill on it :shock:

I love the feeling of me versus the weather and roads, and never get bored of it, and the feeling post ride is sublime 8)

Oh, and it's a legit reason to wear multi coloured lycra and get away with it legally................nice :lol::lol:
  • samsbike
    thanks all, I need to consider what to do.

I tried a few bikes at evans and got confused as the smaller size was more comfortable than the 56, especially as I found it much more stretched out. Its difficult for me to determine what the best position for me is
  • Sam, regardless of budget I would get a proper static bike fit, especially if you are going to do lots of miles commuting. It is difficult to assess if the bike is right by sitting on it.

One of the key differences Ive found with road vs mtb, is that im rarely in the seat on a trail, im never out of it on the road bike, so it needs to be right on the road. A bike fit will work out seat hight seat to handle bbar distance and handle bar height, based on your physical make up. It may even mean replacing the stem to get the right fit. But the result will be that you can ride for ages pain free. Should be between 50-80 quid, some lbs do it for free if you buy the bike from them.

My first bike was a Halfords £500 road bike. I did 8000 miles before I went for a fit. Id put up with aches and pains for miles and after the fitting they were gone. It also felt like they had unlocked 10% more power. That fitting gave me more benefit than paying a grand more on the next bike!!
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • MTB for many people means you have to travel to get where it can be done properly. A road bike, you just step out the front door with it. A few miles miles later and you can be in the countryside.
    For me, I found riding an MTB wasn't fun on my own, but riding a road bike is.
    I love the idea that I can ride 60 miles, especially when you think about it when driving a car 60 miles.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • samsbike wrote:
    thanks all, its very interesting.

Out of curiousity could I see a road bike on the canals pathways i.e. along the grand union canal or any other

:mrgreen:
    Does this answer your question?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Maybe get rid of the MTB :lol:
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I think the OP is refering to proper MTBing, not just using an MTB on the road...

I do both but since moving to NL, the possibilities for MTBing are limited so I ve spruced up the road bike and use it with a club. Riding with the group and playing silly buggers racing the old fogies is fun but I don't much like riding on my own. It's better than not riding and I can put the headphones in and cruise some of the bike paths around me but the views of industrial estates and flat fields/Canals get's boring after a while.

When I get home and can ride some proper MTB trails I remember why I like it so much! That said, training on a Road bike will make you a much faster (XC) mountan biker than riding trails.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I got into cycling just to lose weight, started with a MTB, then decided that was too slow and heavy. Sold the MTB to buy a road bike, and havent looked back. Love the fact the bike will take me anywhere. I ride through rural northumberland, through places I just would never drive through. Its the freedom that does it for me. And the speed.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers