Riding on tubs

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I wasnt sure which area to post this question, so I came here....

I am toying with the idea of riding tubs at some points this year. But I am unsure on how to repair a puncture on the road. What spares do people take with them?

At the moment I usually carry a couple of spare inner tubes and some co2, would I need to carry a lot more if I used tubs?

Thanks
Mark
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Roadside repair is not feasible - even home repair isn't carried out by most, either bin it or send away to get repaired although it isn't all that difficult to do. Need to carry a spare tub with you. Can also pre-fill your tubs with sealant which may deal with most of the punctures you'd suffer. Tubs aren't really used for riding other than racing by most due to the hassle etc
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    But I am unsure on how to repair a puncture on the road. What spares do people take with them

You don't, you either carry spare tubs, a can of "pitstop" (which is crap IME), or call your team car.

Race on tubs, train on clinchers, its easy.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, tubs are strictly for racing IMO where the performance / handling advantage is worth the extra hassle and where a puncture would usually mean the end of the race anyway (or a lap out). You can carry a spare but needs to be ridden with relative care as it won't be as secure. Tufo sealant works pretty well with their tyres IME but they don't ride as well. Overall, tubs are the best for carbon-rimmed wheels when it's nice to have a race-day psychological boost of 'best wheels'.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..