No Wikipedia tomorrow!

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
In protest against new American copyright and anti-piracy legislation........
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    pottssteve wrote:
    In protest against new American copyright and anti-piracy legislation........

I'd check your sources, is that from Wikipedia... ;)
  • As long as Tumblr is still up ill be alright...can survive on rage toons and titties for a day
  • How will I be able to do my Uni work now????
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    How will I be able to do my Uni work now????

You are at Uni and doing work... why not get an education instead?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    edited January 2012
    Where will we go to get the facts on everything now? Will have to rely on my secondary source, the Mail Online!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hey, wikipedia gets a bad rep, but it's really f*cking quality.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    extended_mind.png
  • Redhog14 wrote:

You are at Uni and doing work... why not get an education instead?

x39.jpg
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    The underlying data is still in the html that comes back from Wikipedia - there's just a full screen js banner over the top.
    For those using Adblock |http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:BannerLoader* should work - does for me.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If anyone wants to browse Wikipedia just turn off JavaScript - Firefox - Tools - Options - Uncheck enable JavaScript
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

+1

Tbh I find those who criticise it are those who haven't really used it much. Of course, it's not an academic source in the same way that a peer reviewed paper is, but as far as a first call of port for research on absolutely anything, it's usually pretty reliable. Not to mention its size, which means it can feature lots of information on relatively obscure subjects, which would never fit into a typical encyclopaedia.

Probably one of the better things to come out of the internet, imho.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Fear not, as ever our great friend the internets has not let us down.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    Jez mon wrote:

+1

Tbh I find those who criticise it are those who haven't really used it much. Of course, it's not an academic source in the same way that a peer reviewed paper is, but as far as a first call of port for research on absolutely anything, it's usually pretty reliable. Not to mention its size, which means it can feature lots of information on relatively obscure subjects, which would never fit into a typical encyclopaedia.

+1 at the very least it could point you a direction to more info.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    You can just press ESC before the page loads and you can access the site like normal.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If you search the topic on Google, just click the cached version and that'll get you in.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Jez mon wrote:

+1

Only loking with my criticism. I would say that the quality is variable but well written entries will have some good source information that you can research. You'll always get idiots who put deliberately incorrect information on there but it soon gets sorted out.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461

F*** that, what will the government rely on for their info?

Bob