Bike Recommendation Needed Please

jimbob 2705
jimbob 2705 Posts: 109
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in getting into Road Cycling, and I would be grateful if you could recommend me a bike.

It will be my first road bike (not first bike though), so I don't really have any idea on what is good/bad.

My budget is around £500 MAX, but I would ideally spend less - and I don't mind buying 2nd hand. Ideally I would spend around £300.

It will be used for general road riding (casual) and to be used for fitness. I live on Country Roads so they are fairly hilly (i.e. up and down a lot) but it will also be used on flat roads.

I am 5 foot 7, 15 years old and still growing. What would be an ideal size?

I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks and ATB

James

Comments

• Just to point out that I have read this thread : viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12577960

I just thought there may be something to look at in the secondhand market!

Thanks and ATB
  • Just a small update - Inside leg is approx 33 inches.

Thanks and ATB

James
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    definately second hand as at your budget thats going to buy you something much better, plus you'll grow out of it and hence lose less when you sell it on.

you have long legs for your height, I guess you need to try a couple for size, but sounds like a 52 / 54 frame will be about right. sit on some in a bike shop to get a feel for it, before scouring the second hand market. Given your growing er on the side of bigger, but not so much that its an uncomfortable stretch to the drops

There is good avdice on the thread you highlighted for new bikes - so look for the ones in the next bracket up to your £500 budget as second hand.

ebay is your oyster, go grab a bargain.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    This sort of thing would be ideal, I expect.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-1-5-Road-Bike-54cm-/280805323060?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item41614d3134#ht_538wt_1344

To clarify: not my listing or anything!