Am I really the only one?

cycle monster
cycle monster Posts: 448
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I had a nightmare with punctures last Autumn. My LBS recommended slime filled tubes. I have had six punctures since, none of which sealed themselves. In fact they all needed a patch fitting for them to be reusable. Yes, I have spun the tyre, held it up so the gloop gets to the hole and yes I have even rubbed my finger on it to encourage sealing. The only advantage to me is that you can readily see where the hole is because green gloop is being forced through the hole by air pressure. My LBS tells me that nobody else has the same problem although they had to patch one of the tubes when I took it in, as it would not seal.

Am I alone, or have others found these things less than perfect?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Heavy and over rated.

Just align the tyres correctly to aid hole finding and patch normal tubes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You're pretty much alone as I don't know one person who uses them. Probably for this reason and their heaftyness.

Most peole have moved to no tubes and just slime.
  • Thank you for your input and quick reply. I have been warming towards normal tubes and patches for a while. I have seen some tubeless troubles arising in the workshop/tech forum. No easy answer I guess.
  • I've not tried them personally, I'm fully tubeless myself and love it. Have no issues at all (so far).

I have heard a few others on hear complain about slime being rubbish though.

Not sure if it would be any different, but have you thought about just using a little bit of Stans sealant?
    I think it's a little more liquid than slime.

Might also be worth looking into what's causing all these flats. Is it thorns, low pressure, gremlins? Could be that you maybe need to adjust your pressure or think about changing to different tyres or something.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't know anyone that runs a tubeless setup. I still think regular tubes are the best way. Tubeless is fine until you tear a sidewall, then you're really fucked!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I've not tried them personally, I'm fully tubeless myself and love it. Have no issues at all (so far).

Not sure if it would be any different, but have you thought about just using a little bit of Stans sealant?

Might also be worth looking into what's causing all these flats. Is it thorns, low pressure, gremlins? Could be that you maybe need to adjust your pressure or think about changing to different tyres or something.
    Thanks, thorns it is, as that is what I have to remove most often. I maintain 40psi in my Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1s and the 3 cm thorn I removed from the front tyre yesterday would have gone through pretty much anything I suspect. I might go tubeless or follow my LBS advice and avoid the haunted windmill.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I don't know anyone that runs a tubeless setup. I still think regular tubes are the best way. Tubeless is fine until you tear a sidewall, then you're really farked!
    Carry a tube for emergencies, like if you were running tubes.

I've used slime tubes in the past and they were rubbish. I also had problems with tubeless (converted, not proper), normal tubes with decent tyres have been pretty reliable for me.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks to all, the general concensus seem to be that slime tubes are pants.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i used to run joes no flats in my tubes,, and it worked fine against thorns ect.. i did not get a pucture in 18 months.

but does not work against pinch flats if you do pinch it can get quite messy..

Thanks, thorns it is, as that is what I have to remove most often. I maintain 40psi in my Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1s and the 3 cm thorn I removed from the front tyre yesterday would have gone through pretty much anything I suspect. I might go tubeless or follow my LBS advice and avoid the haunted windmill.

Are you Scooby-Doo?

I'd gove proper tubeless sealant a try in your tubes if I were you.

We don't really get the big fkoff thorns round these parts though so I'm afraid I cant really comment.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I had slime filled tubes for a while and, as what has already been said I found them heavy an unreliable. I also had issues with the slime getting onto the valve and preventing me from pumping them up, I had to use pliers to open the valve up.

I've gone back to normal tubes. When I did this the bike also felt better to ride.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Been using Slime tubes for a while now and not had one problem with them. Not noticed any difference in weight or feel and not had one puncture that I'm aware of in the last 6 months since I started using them - not sure whether they've been called into use to be honest as I fitted them with new tyres so not had them off to look but I was getting a puncture a month before that.

Are you Scooby-Doo?

I'd gove proper tubeless sealant a try in your tubes if I were you.

We don't really get the big fkoff thorns round these parts though so I'm afraid I cant really comment.
    More like shaggy than Scoob! I have had to be rescued three times by Mrs Monster in the last six months and each time has been within a mile of the wooden windmill overlooking a nearby village. Can i get sealant into tubes with presta valves?
  • Chunkers1980
    If you really want to do it -I'd say shrader would be easier, as you can remove the valve giving a big(ger) gap.
  • If you really want to do it -I'd say shrader would be easier, as you can remove the valve giving a big(ger) gap.
    Hmm, my hoops won't take schraders. Tell me I must invest in lighter muchagofaster hoops! I will quote you to Mrs Monster in my defence!
  • Chunkers1980
    Nope drill 'em ;-)
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    You can buy Presta tubes with removable cores. These are what i have been using http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=163
    Remove the core, add 100ml of Stan's sealent, refit core, place in tyre and pump to desired pressure and your good to go. As said above though, will not seal pinch flats.
  • Shame, I will have to fib now. Cheers to all for the input. I will find a way around the haunted windmill, take two spare tubes and some scabs in future. The only diversion that comes to mind goes by the village pub. I may look no further!