Improving the control of Recon silver Tk

Bikerguy15
Bikerguy15 Posts: 119
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I'm starting to get into the rough stuff a little more, I was wondering what the best way of improving the control of these forks is (hopefully in the cheapest way) until i can perhaps afford a better fork, i'm not made of money so it'll have to wait.

First off, I would like to increase the travel to 120mm, which should in theory give me an extra 1/2 degree on the head angle. However I have looked at the manual and it only seems to me that you can do this buy removing the spacer on the solo air spring (I have the coil, which is a bummer). Could someone clarify this for me?

Secondly, I want to improve the compression so that brake dive is reduced and there is less bottoming out on the downhill. I had two plans for this.

1) I know i'm probably going to get slated for saying this but here I go. I could possibly increase the oil weight to 7.5 instead of 5wt. This should solve the problem but i dont know if its going to affect the sag or increase the low speed to a point where it fails to make use of all the travel, which isnt exactly what I want.

2) I could buy the motion control damper for the fork which will let me adjust the low speed from the handlebar. However, I'm reluctant to spend 50+ on the damper if i'm looking to buy forks with the feature in the future BUT it will allow me to adjust the compression specifically to my style (which increasing the oil weight doesnt offer).

Then there's through axles. Just gonna have to wait untill ive got a fork with the 20mm or 15mm axle. Then i'll just buy a good hub to lace to my existing rims. Not gonna bother with new wheels, Im cheap like that :3. Until then...

Sorry there's alot to read, I just really need some good advice.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 will do nothing.
    2 does not allow this to be done.

Fit a MoCo cart and go for the adjuster on he top of the fork.

BUT not all recons will take a MoCo cart. And if it will make sure you get the correct one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So what Charles is saying, save up some dosh and buy a fork to better suit your needs. Don't forget the quicker you do the more you're likely to get for your current one.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    1 will do nothing.

I seem to have lost you there. Which bit does this relate to?
    So what Charles is saying, save up some dosh and buy a fork to better suit your needs. Don't forget the quicker you do the more you're likely to get for your current one.

So this is the current bike:
    6606878095_5eeaa9bac6.jpg

Hmm, I can see what you mean. Having a Triad at the rear and a Recon Tk up front really makes you realise how overwhelmed the fork starts to feel. Do you have any reccomendations? Max spend would be around £250-300

Reckon these would be a safe bet:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 61764.html
  • nicklouse
    Bikerguy15 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    1 will do nothing.

I seem to have lost you there. Which bit does this relate to?
    The same numbers as you used.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    That Reba is steal.
    Been out?

It's a recon and they are steel IIRC! ;)
  • Just read this on a thread regarding another model of recons involving the TK:
    Adding thicker oil in your fork will not change your compression damping at all. Recon 327's do not have a compression circuit, so there is nothing to be effected by the thinker oil. All that it will do is make the rebound more sluggish. The rear shock does have a internal compression circuit though. So adding slightly thicker oil would have an effect on the rear shock, but you need special tools to properly change the oil in your shock.

Im not positive, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you can probably buy a motion control compression damper and install it for relatively cheap. Its probably your best option.
    That solved a lot of problems, so by my reckoning that leaves me with two options; buy the MoCo damper or just save up till I can buy a decent fork (which should hopefully be stronger too). I think the latter makes more sense if i want to move up to 120mm travel.
  • Chunkers1980
    Is that not what we said?? ha ha

Buying a moco is not really an option IMO, it's putting good money into old.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Get the Reba.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Is that not what we said?? ha ha

Buying a moco is not really an option IMO, it's putting good money into old.

Ha, I guess my thought process is a little behind the rest. I was just re-evaluating my previous knowledge about fork oil weights, I was unaware that the TK damper doesn't have a compression circut (at all). I'm still a novice when it comes to fork internals.
  • Chunkers1980
    Most people are, including me, even some people who work with bikes every day are. They can be different even if you appear to have the same year and model as OE can spec them very oddly to make them cheaper and appear better than they are.