IT people pls help?

qwerty1982
qwerty1982 Posts: 232
edited February 2012 in Road general
Hello,

Recently moved my Broadband to Sky and they supply a Sagecom router which appears to be locked down. I Have a media server which I browse to the files on it from my laptop it \\mediaserver\music etc however the sagecom is locked down and i can not do this with out opening the ports. I have succesfully opened the ports for iTunes home sharing as that would not work to start either!
Any way, Sky have told me the ports for file sharing are 20 and 21 but I do not think that is correct, isn't 21 for FTP?
Does any one know them? Have had a google but can't find any thing recent, all stuff for opening the ports on XP, but I want it on my router.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ### mods i posted this in thw wrong area, could you move for me please ###
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    There should be a local IP address for the router. 192.168.1.2 / 192.168.2.1 or similar

The default logins for sky bundled routers is usually "admin" and pw "sky" or something daft. Getting to the control panel of the router should let you configure all settings from there.

Ports 20 and 21 are both used for FTP which should have no effect on home media servers which you should be able to add as a network place
  • T.M.H.N.E.T - YUP ITS 192.168.0.1 - I can get on the router fine and can add the ports fine, just need to know what ports are used for home file sharing.....
  • It depends on how you access sharing and if your using windows what version it is but basicallythe following ports are associated with file sharing and server message block (SMB) communications: • Microsoft file sharing SMB: User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports from 135 through 139 and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) ports from 135 through 139. • Direct-hosted SMB traffic without a network basic input/output system (NetBIOS): port 445 (TCP and UPD).
    S-Works Venge, Zipp 404 firecrests, Dura-Ace Di2 with optional sprint buttons.
  • Btw... port 20 is the data port for ftp and 21 is traditionally the command port for ftp
    S-Works Venge, Zipp 404 firecrests, Dura-Ace Di2 with optional sprint buttons.
  • Squeakz wrote:
    It depends on how you access sharing and if your using windows what version it is but basicallythe following ports are associated with file sharing and server message block (SMB) communications: • Microsoft file sharing SMB: User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports from 135 through 139 and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) ports from 135 through 139. • Direct-hosted SMB traffic without a network basic input/output system (NetBIOS): port 445 (TCP and UPD).

Yeah I have seen these before, as u say, they use ports 135 through, but normally u enter the internal and external.... Which is which?

But thanks so far.
  • the sagem routers suck ass for advanced networking support

infact they aint very good at basic networking either :D
    Crafted in Italy apparantly