Helmet Camera - ContourHD

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
I'm thinking about replacing my helmet camera, I'm currently use a dogcam bullet HD (http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-bul ... amera.html) - after a number of rides I'm finding the poor quality and lack of a wide angle a bit limiting. I'm thinking about replacing the unit with a ContourHD but I'm baffled by the number of variations on the market, looking at purchasing http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/5972893 ... e-cam.html. Is this a worthy purchase? Also how well does it fit on a standard bike helmet - I'm a bit worried it might stick out quite a bit. Advice appreciated :wink:

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I've used most of the Contour cameras and for ease of use I would recommend the ROAM.
    It's waterproof, has auto adjusting exposure, has 1/4inch screw inbuilt, one slide power and record switch.

Only downsides are the inbuilt batter, no 60fps and the waterproofing makes the mic a little less clear.

The model you are buying looks to be the 720p version which is 2 years old.
    Don't forget you will need to buy a vented helmet mount to use it with a helmet as it doesn't come in the standard kit.
  • Perfect thanks, will check out the roam - thanks for the heads up on needing the mount, would have assumed it came with all the fixings :(

How does it look on the helmet? Also not sure which method of mounting would obtain the best results - side of helmet (right hand side) or on top - any suggestions?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Any chums in the U.S? When I last looked, the Roam was $165 on Amazon.com ~ less than £110. Mount would be another £20, though...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This is a ContourHD on my Giro Rift helmet, yes it does stand out a little on top, the white flash in front of the camera is black reflective tape.

imag0913l.jpg
    imag0914p.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks redvee Just what I wanted to know! Thats not bad at all, guessing thats the vented mount you need to buy as well? Think I would mount in the same way.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I know a fair few guys who use them to film theselves while karting. They work great on racing helmets but could imagine you'd notice the weight on a bike lid. Redvee has the right as you can rotate the lense any way you like.

Good cameras. (put a bit of selotape over the mic hole otherwise wind-noise can be a problem)
  • Been using a Veoh Muvi a little bit and have to say if you're using them to try and get number plates in the case of incidents then they are disappointing. 9 times out of 10 the resolution is too low to make out number plates on the footage and the way they scan the frame means tat sideways movement warps the image. They also skip a few frames every now and then, and it's surprising how often those skipped frames are the few you need!

I've seen much better results with the Contour HD. Size and price is bigger, but often you may as well not be using a cam at all if using the Veoh. If you're going to bother using one then get one that does the job like the Contour HD or better.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Thanks redvee Just what I wanted to know! Thats not bad at all, guessing thats the vented mount you need to buy as well? Think I would mount in the same way.

Yes, vented mounted for around £20 from various places online.
    Peat wrote:
    you'd notice the weight on a bike lid.

I did to start with, took about 2 weeks for the extra weight (125g) to stop being noticed.
    I was looking at getting a Contour Roam but with a waterproof case for my ContourHD I have the best of both worlds with upto 60fps recording.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    just to add - the difference in actual quality when you run at 720p/60fps compared to 1080p/30fps is really noticeable

The latter is invariably blurred whenever you need to capture an image. The 720p setting is much better

I wear my Contour HD on the right hand side of my helmet and you just need to make sure the straps are tight to stop it pulling that side down (you can look on my youtube channel for examples (Tr4veller)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I have my Contour mounted on top of my helmet. The weight really isn't a problem, I don't even notice it any more. If you swnig your head around very quickly you're aware there's something there, but for normal commuting riding, shoulder checks etc it's fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."