Winter Wheels/Tyres

Vivica
Vivica Posts: 68
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
My Tricross is a beast - she has served me well as a daily commuting stead for around 3 years (admitedly not without a miriad of new parts), but the one thing that has always remained the same is my front tyre.
It's been through sun, rain, hail and snow... And it's fine and dandy after aproximately 9,000 miles.

The rear tyre however - developed a split after a rather nasty puncture, and was relaced by a Nimbus Armadilo tyre.
I have never come across a worse tyre in my life. If literally has no grip. There are roads i've riden daily for 10 years that i used to do at high speed even in the wet, that now scare me down to a crawl!

This happened today on a nasty downhill left hander - my rear wheel stepped out and for a split second i felt like a Japanese drift god, holding my bike upright long enough to make it round unscathed. The moments after made me very angry. With my old tyres (whatever it is that came with the bike when i bought it) i would have done that corner at speed and been fine!!

TLDR? Recommend me some fairy fast, super grippy, tyres.

Thanking you!

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The original Boroughs better than the rear???

Good God that must one crap tyre.

I changed to Conti City Rides but picked 25c when I should've gone for 28c, so changed them for 28c Conti Top Contacts. I've only lost grip once and that was this Winter on a section of sheet tarmac / ice (see my video for details)

They are quiet, fast and relatively light - plus offer great puncture protection. Apparently Evans have a buy one get one half price offer at the moment
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Vivica
    Thanks buddy, Continental seem to be a pretty popular choice - but there really is SO much choice!!
  • Vivica
    Bump, just thought you guys would like to see how these have turned out...

541818_10150922962622883_207480822_n.jpg
  • Vivica
    Seeing as Wiggle have a sale on for the rest of the day i've decided i'll risk riding on this for a few days and order online.
    (Yes, i realise this is a serious gamble with a tyre in that condition, i'll take the risk.)

Question is, what Conti tyre do i go for? - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental/tyres/?o=1
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I would stay away from gatorskins, as although they are strong they don't grip brilliantly in the wet. 4000s are very good tyres but not as p##cture proof, the 4 seasons are probably a good all round choice.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    i ride conti 4 seasons in 25 on my road bike and never had a puncture on them great tyres and i use them in all weathers.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Vivica
    Thanks for the opinions guys, i went with the SportContact City's earlier this afternoon - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-spo ... road-tyre/

Now the question is, will that rear tyre hold out until they're delivered! Fingers crossed eh!!
  • I would recommend the Bontrager all weather hardcase, they are slightly heavier than some tyres but they did me proud through winter.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    i went for conti grand prix tyres - pretty happy with them, though perhaps not the most hardwearing tyre....
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Schwalbe Snow Stud.

Just don't corner too hard.

It can hurt.

For months.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I suggest you skip the winter wheels and go straight for a canoe
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Vivica
    So... Now i find myself with set of Conti SportContact City's, AND a set of Specialized Infiniti's.
    Which to fit first...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    tarbot18 wrote:
    i ride conti 4 seasons in 25 on my road bike and never had a puncture on them great tyres and i use them in all weathers.
    I have 4 seasons too, I find them good in spring and in summer and in..... Oh yeah that kind of fits doesn't it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Another vote for 25mm Conti 4 Seasons. Flawless since I got them in October.
    A much better feel than the Bonti Hardcases.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.