Cheapie Base layers at Primark

danowat
danowat Posts: 2,877
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Might help some, they have some "Thermo Layer" LS and SS base layers in the sale for £4 at Primark, I picked up a couple, and for the sake of £4, they are worth a punt.

Comments

• I got the LS base layer as a chrimbo present, even £4 no they are not worth it IMO, not at this time of year, they are very thin and not that warm.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    I went to a retail park thingy at the weekend and went into a Mountaineering place, got a thermal base layer for £10 in the sale and yesterday was the warmest winter ride I've ever done :)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    turboslave wrote:
    I got the LS base layer as a chrimbo present, even £4 no they are not worth it IMO, not at this time of year, they are very thin and not that warm.

bad base layers are a nightmare.. if they don't wick the sweat away you'll end up freezing regardless of how thick they are..
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    +1 and potentially dangerous if you're on a long ride and they fail to wick away the sweat. i made the mistake of getting some cheap ones from uniqlo but I found out you really do get what you pay for. They arent warm and they stay wet then make you go cold. on a short ride they might be just okay but on longer rides no chance.
  • go for the real thermals

tbh they don't even need to be cycling specific. Other sports thermals are just as good as can be seen here

http://www.theprintsofwales.co.uk/index.php/shop.html

great place for thermals :)
    bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I use DHB Merino base layers. No idea how much they cost now (around £30-40 I seem to recall), but I have never had a problem on even the coldest days, and they wick very effectively.

Worth the money, but I do agree with the OP that it's sometimes worth a punt as you do occasionally find cheap hidden gems!
  • When it comes to base layers Aldi is king. I bought a snow boarding compression top with is really warm and wicks well. It was only £10