Muscular Tinnitus

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
...Producess a very annoying 'fluttering' in the inner ear, often related to stress, anxiety and caffeine intake. I have this (well think i have it) and its been on and off for a couple of years, often worse after excersize. Its also more common in diabetics (which i am). Question is, as we are all coffee addicts here, has anyone else had this? if so, how did you get ride of it? Its driving me nuts. :evil:

PS. before anyone says it, yes i have tried excluding caffeine from my diet.

Comments

• I've gotTinnits in both ears ...had it for years...through working in noisy industry...you'll just have to live with it
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I have tinnitus quite bad, iv'e had it for about 8yrs now. I think i have also had this fluttering you talk of, you can't do anything about it apart from learn to live with it. The only time i really notice it now is if im somewhere quiet like in bed but it doesn't stop me sleeping anymore.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    If you want to stop it driving your nuts, then take the steering wheel out of your pants !

I'll get my coat....................
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • LeicesterLad
    MattC59 wrote:
    If you want to stop it driving your nuts, then take the steering wheel out of your pants !

I'll get my coat....................

That, was truly aweful, however it was slightly less damning than the previous couple of posts. :(
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Hi, I have this too, in my left ear stangely it always seems to kick in when driving home... and when my daughter practices her violin!
  • I thought he was a very strong roman emperor - I SAID I THOUGHT HE WAS A VERY STRONG...oh forget it
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LeicesterLad
    I thought he was a very strong roman emperor - I SAID I THOUGHT HE WAS A VERY STRONG...oh forget it

:lol: That did make me laugh. (take note MattC59)
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    On a serious note, colonic irrigation can help quieten tinnitus and improve eye sight, worth noting.
  • On a serious note, colonic irrigation can help quieten tinnitus and improve eye sight, worth noting.

Yea!!! so can fu*k'in 'Dino Rod'
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Standard doctor type response to anything to do with ears is to dribble a few drops of olive oil into the affected ear each night and see if things improve. Personally I think that docs recommend this just for a laugh. I hate having stuff go wrong with my ears.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • A friend of mine has it quite bad in both ears.....she describes it as a constant ringing. She has been given a set of what i can only describe as hearing aid type gadgets that sit in her ears and all they do is feedback white noise which seems to calm her down and help cancel out the ringing....

I can only imagine how annoying it is!
  • Another tinnitus sufferer, learning to live with it.

I did read somewhere that they have isolated the chemical or 'something' that causes it - but are still a long way of any producing medication that will provide relief.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The standard medical suggestion of putting olive oil in your ears is to soften hard wax, which is the cause of quite a few ear problems (although probably not this one)
    On a serious note, colonic irrigation can help quieten tinnitus and improve eye sight, worth noting.

Seriously? I mean, you seriously believe an enema by any other name will sort out your ears and your eyes? It would make me watch out for another lunatic with a syringe and a rubber hose, but that's about as far as it would affect eyesight. And if the wax flies out of your ears, you're probably pumping too hard. Also worth noting
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I've always wondered what it was.

It's exactly as you describe. Feels like a painless fluttering/twich in my ear.

Never concerned me much, but it was always a little irritating.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's either that, or the Dutch Earwax Beetle larva preparing to pupate.....
  • LeicesterLad
    I've always wondered what it was.

It's exactly as you describe. Feels like a painless fluttering/twich in my ear.

Never concerned me much, but it was always a little irritating.

Glad i'm not alone.

Its not Tinnitus in its most common form - the ringing noise, that is for life. Muscular tinnitus can be controlled by diet, relieved by an operation or will just dumb down over time...so not as bad as i first thought...still mighty annoying though.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I heard ginko biloba is supposed to help, no idea if it actually does.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I've had tinnitus, in both ears, for many years. It seems to be stress related in part, even though I ceased work nearly four years ago; it still returns. The frequency of incidents has reduced but even with my increasing loss of hearing, the ringing/buzzing noise comes through as clear as ever :? I try to block it out or 'move past it' and carry on. Not always successful especially if you are tired.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Griffsters wrote:
    Another tinnitus sufferer, learning to live with it.

+1 Had it all my life. Bloody good this is a forum, or we'd all be struggling to hear each other over the background noise.

What was that you said ?