London Bike Show 2012/Outdoor Show/Boat Show etc etc

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
So who went and what did you make of it? Anybody pick up any good bargains?

We were there on Friday and Saturday.

The actual show was pretty underwhelming (the cycling bit was suprisingly small) but I enjoyed the interactive bits (climbing walls and the zip line were both deserted on Friday evening so I had a go on them) and browsing some of the bike pron. Most interesting stand for me was probably the Planet X one as they had a couple of new bikes including a huge tyred snow/mud bike which looked great fun and they were doing special prices on bikes bought on the day. I had a quick look in at the Training Hub thing but couldn't really work out what was going on. We watched one of the Animal trial displays which was impressive and a bit of bike polo which was a good laugh.

Overall though and taken against something like the Eurobike show it was disappointing and was basically just like browsing a regular bike shop (particularly the Madison area) with a few bits tacked on - no big product launches as far as I could make out and no real big draws bearing in mind the price of the ticket and getting there.

The Outdoors section seemed to be making a better go of it with lots of show special offers, discounts and interesting displays/products. I particularly liked the interactive climbing equipment area where you could try out different bits of equipment and chat to the guys that actually make it. Definite added value there as you can try stuff out and speak to people with real expertise that but for the show you wouldn't have access to.
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Was there Saturday. Agree the bike bit was underwhelming. The best bit was the hour of beer tasting and wandering over to have a look at the Sunseekers.

Did the Bikeradar Training Hub. Will wait and see what report they send through, and the what the follow up call contains but on the day was a bit disappointed. Had been attracted by a VO2 max test only to find there was one machine and someone else was on it. Watching the cycling pedal efficiency was interesting although slightly pointless as the bike wasn't your usual set up. Then some breathing analysis (felt more of a marketing plug), a Wattbike session, anti-oxidant testing (not sure how reliable this is), flexibility and stretching. None of this was in depth or reflected the supposed £450 usual cost - just tasters.

Then had a bike-fitting. Again you couldn't bring your own bike, and the bike used was small. For £60 though it seemed good value to get measurements (received immediately by email), cleats set up and some advice on geometry. Applied the set-up to my bike and will see how it goes.

Biggest surprise of the day was picking up a Dogma 2 and realising its actually a heavy beast. The Planet X's looked good and seem a marked improvement in stiffness over my current model. Strada wheels was interesting, as was getting my hands on some Lightweigth wheels and realising the way as much as an empty can of coke. The rest of it was a bit boring.
  • mrc1
    JZed wrote:
    The best bit was the hour of beer tasting and wandering over to have a look at the Sunseekers.

The Beer tasting was brilliant. The 5 Barrell Pale Ale was one of the best beers I have ever had - just a shame its £3.25 for a 330ml bottle!

I ended up chatting to the Beer Boutique store manager (Aussie guy called Eddy) and it turned out that he was a semi pro rider 10 years ago. Cracking bloke with some good stories.

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    That would be Odell's 5 Barrel Pale Ale, I presume? Terrific beer.
  • mrc1
    That's the one. Very nice indeed.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    ketsbaia wrote:
    That would be Odell's 5 Barrel Pale Ale, I presume? Terrific beer.

Yep - I enjoyed the Dark Star Sunburst. The Malheur was good considering I'm not keen on Blonde beers, and the Curvee Royal was unusual and interesting. Had one called Old Engine Oil which was very smokey, and can't recall what the other one was - another blonde beer I think.

I'm going to join one of the 52 week beer clubs and get a different beer every week.