Winter tights or legwarmers?

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, somehow I've managed to misplace my winter bib tights (think the Mrs has put them in the recycling) and as it's gone cold I'm wondering if I should stick with my normal bib shorts and pick up some thermal legwarmers or go for some more bib tights.
I've never had any legwarmers so don't know how effective they are whereas the tights I had were toastie warm.

Also do you have any recommendations for either?

Comments

• ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    In wintery weather, it's not just your exposed legs that feel cold ... so I'd go for bib tights. That said, I have never owned leg warmers.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • stick with bib-shorts...

If you're cold, you're not riding hard enough ;o)
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    The Louis Garneau leg warmers are good. Nice n warm and only about 30 bucks from Evans.

Etxeondo warmers are also very good. Bit more money, but super warm and look ace.
  • Not that ive got addiction issues with Zipvit clothing at the moment, but theyre leg warmers are only £12 and a perfect fit. Im not sure why the gear is so cheap, but its mental.

Checkout zipvitsport's clothing secton.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd go for winter bibtights every time. Gives you the added insulation around your bum / lower back.

My bibshorts are way too thin for this weather :shock:
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    keef66 wrote:
    I'd go for winter bibtights every time. Gives you the added insulation around your bum / lower back.

My bibshorts are way too thin for this weather :shock:

+1

I had to replace my winter bib's last year and was on a budget. Bought a pair of DHB Pace Roubaix for £45 at Wiggle, (chaeper than some leg warmers). Just had a quick look at Wiggle and they can still be had for that price.
    I have used them loads and they are great, quality material, nice pad and keeps you warm even at very low temperatures. I think they area a bargin.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +2. I'm in the DHB Merstons, which are the forerunners of the pace bibs. Toasty even below zero, and also strangely warm when wet.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    The bib tights are a bit warmer (those DHB ones are very good) but for most of the time I find leg warmers are fine. I'd get some leg warmers and go from there as you will get plenty of use out of them in the Spring and Autumn
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    These: http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/clothing-c7/tights-c54/endura-equipe-thermo-windshield-biblongs-p93573

They're usually about £135, but £119 is the best price I've found at the above link. Delivery is free and next day too.

They appear to be very good. Not too thick, fleecy backed, wind proof, waterproof panels on the ass and shins and a short zip should you be unfortunate enough to need to find the little fella in the cold !!

These were my first choice, but I didn't like the price, so I ordered and returned several pairs of different makes before I returned to these. Glad I did, you get what you pay for !!

That said, I understand that the dhb longs are pretty good !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    I got my missus to buy me some 'ladies' ski pants from primark, just sling em on under your shorts. £4 job done
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been
  • I have worn full leg warmers under bibshorts which is a warm combo

good one at this site. Full catalogue there aswell

stuff like craft ect.

http://www.theprintsofwales.co.uk/index.php/shop.html
    hope this helps
    bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I'd always go for longs in this weather! Where you're just shorts and warmers, the bit from the top of your leg to the bottom of your baselayer/jersey gets real cold! Hate getting into the shower after a ride and getting the itchy/stingy skin from getting cold.

Longs are much more comfy too.
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    got winter bibtights from tenn-sports for 25quid, havnt been cold in them yet!
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    bib tights all the way, i like to be warm from door to door. I can't believe how many I see cycling in just shorts at this time of year, either bonkers or skint, maybe both!
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    The last few winters I've worn Roubaix bibshorts with Roubaix leg warmers, works fine for me.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • I've made it my mission to see if I can commute daily in just my Altura shorts (I need the pockets as I ride bagless. So far so good! Last night my Garmin had the temps as -2.5degC and the ice made the journey that bit more fun.

I may have to crack out the knee warmers if the weather persists though!
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Bib shorts all year round, supplemented with knee or leg warmers as appropriate. Working muscles mean I've never felt the need for more warmth.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    such a difference between decent winter bib tights and shorts (or 3/4s which I prefer) with leg warmers. Temperature between -5 and 5 degrees, you need bib tights, simple as that.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fish - Your muscles may be warm - but what about your knees ? I know old cyclists always warn you to keep the knees covered in this weather. I'm thinking there must be some reason for it.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    cougie wrote:
    Fish - Your muscles may be warm - but what about your knees ? I know old cyclists always warn you to keep the knees covered in this weather. I'm thinking there must be some reason for it.
    Worry not, they are covered - "supplemented with knee or leg warmers as appropriate".
  • Got myself some leg warmers from decathlon and used em for the first time over the weeekend and what a difference, if I could only find something to keep my hands warm enough I would be great. If I were cycling daily I would have went the bib tights route but leg warmers are all I need.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    ...on my commute this morning I cycled passed someone in only bib shorts and a baggy vest - 0 degrees!
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    My Endura leg warmers have been great so far this winter. kept me warm even when frosty cold, no slippage too which I had feared would be a problem. although I would get bib tights if I could afford some.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Bib shorts plus some cheap leggings, I use my Nike jogging tights - works fine even at these low temps.