Rear brake problem

mikeysickalrigh
mikeysickalrigh Posts: 246
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Avid Elixir 3 brake and the pads are too close to the rotor, resulting in a loud squeel.

I have re-aligned the calliper but the pads are just too close together giving the rotor no room. Anyone know what I can do?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    push them back into the calipers.

but a squeel is normally a sign of other issues. the formula topic in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    My rear elixir 3 was a right pain when new, caused so much squealing that the whole bike would vibrate and judder at one point. Took a bit of fiddling, but after removing the pads, resetting the pistons and putting a very small amount of copper slip on the back of the pads, it stopped. It does squeal if the mounting bolts start coming loose, so check those too. (Quite handy really)

It might not be the case on yours, but I realised on mine that the caliper was mounted a mm or two too low, as I could see where the pads had burnt in part of the rotor arms and 2mm of rotor round the outer most edge was clean (not burnt in if that makes sense!) I removed the mounting bolts and popped a 1mm washer on each bolt, which raised the caliper enough to 'burn in' the outer most 2mm of the rotor, which helped with the squealing. I'll try and get some pics up later if they'd help.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Everything was factory when you did the spacing?