I need new gloves

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
One of my Aldi cycling gloves went missing over the weekend. For £5 they have served me well - not too thick to obstruct feel and ability to use gear changers, not too thin to fail at their core task. However, on extremely cold days they do struggle a bit.

So, I need some replacements. I'd like something which is a similar thickness, has towel thumb, bit of silicon grip and is generally wind proof and spray resistant, and provide nice warmth with a bit of breathability.

I'll happily pay £15 for good ones, since my £5 Aldi ones were pretty good it seems silly to spend significantly more.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If you can forgo the towelling thumb part, then the Planet X gloves at £5 are a worthy contender.
  • Thanks. I've got a browser tab open with those on but there are no pictures and I've heard they can be a bit small for fit.
    Another candidate right now is Sealskins Winter Cycling gloves. Again, no towel thumb but I can probably survive without.
  • Ah, I found the pictures.....much further down the page.
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    I just ordered a pair of these:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLB ... eld_gloves
    I had some Planet X cheapies, but lost them. I was slightly disappointed with them, annoying stitching in fingernail area, and not especially warm, but for £5.00 they were OK.
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • Brilliant, I've got a nice short list now so will review the details and choose shortly.

BBB Highshield £12.95
    Sealskinz Windproof 2011 £14.99
    Bontrager Race Windshield Midweight £13.74
    Planet X Winter Gloves £5.00

And, as an outside contender:
    Engelbert Strauss cold gas work gloves £6.79
  • wakou
    http://www.engelbert-strauss.co.uk/show ... c6f72d6666

If you buy these, drop a review please, I am tempted, they seem to be extraordinarily good value
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • With out a glove yesterday I wore a latex glove with a thick sock over the top. I was surprised how warm my hand was, but it wasn't comfortable and gear changes were awkward :lol:

I couldn't go another day like that so I nipped to Sports Direct (the only shop local to me that might stock something suitable) and grabbed a pair of Karrimor "Grip" gloves which claimed to be windproof, and I liked how warm they felt yet were thin enough for feel. They cost £10, and are black with a white stitched logo on the back, with silicon grip lines all over the palm and on some of the finger tips.

Today I tested them. They're pretty good. It felt like a colder day with frost everywhere but no ice on paths. They did well to keep the breeze out and my fingers stayed quite cosy. The backs of my hands were slightly chilly but not too bad.

I'm tempted to not buy anything more serious. I just need to find my silk liners to get a bit more insulation. But then I'm tempted to get something a bit more comfortable (the inner seems are horrible and a bit scratchy). These would serve as a good back-up option for sure meaning that I should spend closer to my £15 budget on some quality gloves rather than buying cheap. My original budget is still in place (in my mind) because these were an emergency purchase :wink:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    One of my Aldi cycling gloves went missing over the weekend. For £5 they have served me well - not too thick to obstruct feel and ability to use gear changers, not too thin to fail at their core task. However, on extremely cold days they do struggle a bit.

So, I need some replacements. I'd like something which is a similar thickness, has towel thumb, bit of silicon grip and is generally wind proof and spray resistant, and provide nice warmth with a bit of breathability.

I'll happily pay £15 for good ones, since my £5 Aldi ones were pretty good it seems silly to spend significantly more.

Any suggestions?

What size/colour/hand? I too lost one of a pair. We may have a pair between us!!!!
  • I lost the right hand glove, in black, and size "L" I think. Might be an "M".
    If we have a pair between us, who gets it? :lol:
  • PBo
    I lost the right hand glove, in black, and size "L" I think. Might be an "M".
    If we have a pair between us, who gets it? :lol:
    Does it have a gel palm and some grey trim, with the word "biking" on it? Mine is last winters' model. But in all seriousness, even if the design isn't exact, I have a black rh large glove which I'm happy to send you if you pm me with your details. I have other gloves, so daft for me to have it sat at the bottom of my spare parts and tools bag.
  • wakou
    Recieved the BBB Highshields from PX today...
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLB ... eld_gloves
    too late to be of use for the very cold AM commute, boy did I need them but still, first impressions favourable, to whit:
    1) They look good.. (me vain? nahhh)
    2) A quick test (Hanging hand out of window of fast moving van for 10 mins or so, temp about 0c) the glove passed.
    3) Fine for grippiness and dextrousness, shifting braking etc no problem
    4) No annoying stitching under fingernails etc
    One tiny caveat, they are quite small, and would not allow much in the way of undergloves or liners. I would get a size up if buying again.
  • CHIBA
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • PBo
    didn't make it to the post office yesterday, sorry. If I don't get there today I will post it tomorrow as I will definitely be going.

PBo
  • One of my Aldi cycling gloves went missing over the weekend. For £5 they have served me well However, on extremely cold days they do struggle a bit.

Really mate, thats a bit of the understatement. Monday 16th Jan it was -4 my fingers had fallen off! Now I will say that apart from that morning that they have done the job ok, but now I am looking for a pair to replace them too. In the mean time I got a pair of Decathlon inner gloves for £5.99. I am looking at some SealSkinz but man they are out of my budget. At £36 and £40 its bit too much for me. So far the inner gloves are working - day 1.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk