Can't bunnyhop my full-sus for toffee!

King_Pin_Rich
King_Pin_Rich Posts: 111
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,
Recently bought myself a Canyon AM Nerve. Went out for a first ride this weekend and was impressed, however I really struggled to bunny-hop the thing, even manualling seemed difficult.

My previous ride was a rigid jump bike and I could hop and manual this no problem at all.
On my full-sus it feels as though the fork absorbs all my effort to bring the front wheel up, so rather than lifting the wheel off the ground I simply compress and extend the suspension.
Locking out the fork improves things dramatically as this brings back the instant front wheel responsiveness that I've become accustomed too on my rigid.

Anyone else experienced this?
Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
Cube Road SL

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like too much rebound damping to me.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Sounds like too much rebound damping to me.

Forgot to mention, i've got the rebound dial set halfway.
    I've actually found having the damping completly off helps a little; I can use the quick fork return to my advantage in getting the wheel off the ground :?
    Cube Road SL
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sounds like you're doing it wrong tbh.

Just pushing down into the ground and expecting the bike to come back up isn't really a bunnyhop. You should be pushing the front of the bike forwards, which will pivot the front upwards. Then you get the back up....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Just pushing down into the ground and expecting the bike to come back up isn't really a bunnyhop. You should be pushing the front of the bike forwards, which will pivot the front upwards. Then you get the back up....

I can't get it up in the first instance, the front wheel that is :mrgreen:

I come from a Trials backgound so I have a good feel for the technique, it just does'nt seem to be translating very well to my full-sus.
    Cube Road SL
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Sounds a bit like the "bunnyhop" I thought I was learning, compressing and getting both wheels off the floor.
    Turns out to be a "sh1t hop", nothing like a proper bunnyhop ie front first then followed by the rear in a kind of arc motion, to actually get you up and over stuff.
    Taking a while now to perfect the proper bunnyhop..
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    For those wanting to brush up technique, some great vids:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ries-32743

However, given my recent prowess, I expect you've seen them all a million times and pictures of cats will appear below, followed by cooldad having a troll-off
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    It will take time to get used to the suspension, to get the front wheel up in manual style push the bars then move your weight back while pushing forward with your legs (you probably already know this from trails riding).

The rear wheel is then scooped up with you pushing your feet back and up and bending your legs, just a case of practice, full suss takes time to relearn the basics, same technique but different approach.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Thanks for the replies all.

I'll have a practice again tonight. I hope its just a case of adapting to the full-sus!
    Like i've said with the forks locked out I back to hopping/manualling heaven!
    Cube Road SL
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the pivot point(s) for the bunny hop on a fully move it takes a while to work out what is going on. More so for people who are good at it without sus. But when it clicks you will be away.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Also how much heavier the whole bike is, Rigid forks = light + Rigid frame = light + Heavy full suspension bike = No bunny hopping

*edit*
    Harder to bunny hop
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:
    Then you get the back up....
    That's the part I fail completely on. I seem to find the rear of the bike is like a lead weight and firmly anchored to the ground no matter what I do. Not that I know what I'm doing anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ghostt wrote:
    For those wanting to brush up technique, some great vids:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ries-32743

However, given my recent prowess, I expect you've seen them all a million times and pictures of cats will appear below, followed by cooldad having a troll-off
    To be honest I think those vids are very useful, and a benefit to everyone.
    Pictures of cats would benefit no one.
    Although kittens are cute.
    67304335248d7e525b0c6d88d5d08249.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Can't we get fluffy bunny's instead?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't we get fluffy bunny's instead?
    031609_0451_ScaryBunny1.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I can't get it up .

:wink:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838