So cold my face almost fell off

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Like the title says today in NYC it was so cold i lost feeling in my face after less than 20 mins outside, at one point i had to go inside just to warm up, FFS it was -10 + whatever the wind was adding, walking into the wind felt a lot like being sprayed in the face with pressured ice water.

I though Oslo and Amsterdam were cold, they have nothing on Manhattan brrrrr!
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Why do you think the uniform is down jacket and hat with ear flaps?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    New York is crazy hot in summer and crazy cold in winter.

I'm sure even Geordie girls would wear a jacket in a New York winter. Still in micro-skirts though, probably.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Meh. Trying heading up to Quebec city. Much colder in my experience.

That said, I did wimp out at -4C today :oops:
    I don't do snow or ice on the bike.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'm sure even Geordie girls would wear a jacket in a New York winter. Still in micro-skirts though, probably.
    Hey EKE, my resting heart rate was 37 this morning. Fatty.
    It was 5.45am and my heart probably hadn't quite woken up yet. That's how organs work right?
    Sorry, back on topic.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    What are you doing outside in Nu Yawk?
    It's Brunch > Cab > Bar > Cab > Restaurant > Cab > Nightclub > Cab > Party
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

It was 5.45am and my heart probably hadn't quite woken up yet. That's how organs work right?
    Sorry, back on topic.

You go to the gym, run, cycle and swim partly for fun, partly to get. I just ride my bike a bit and got a similar result. If I tried to get my heart rate down, I'd probably be somewhere in the low 20s. Maybe not.

I've never been called a fatty before. I'm deeply hurt and may well have to console myself with a cake or two.

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Sorry, back on topic.

You go to the gym, run, cycle and swim partly for fun, partly to get. I just ride my bike a bit and got a similar result. If I tried to get my heart rate down, I'd probably be somewhere in the low 20s. Maybe not.

I've never been called a fatty before. I'm deeply hurt and may well have to console myself with a cake or two.
    It's ON! First to 25 gets the pacemaker.
    (Swimming was never fun. I'm rubbish at it so decided to sulk and abandoned it.)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    I swim like a stone.

Seems that I'll be training with MrsEKE as she wants to do L2B and the London Revolution (180 miles around London in two days). I've also been told that I'll be doing circuit training with some of her kickboxing buddies. I'm really looking forward to that. About as much as I look forward to a trip to the dentist.

My current heartrate is 40bpm. It is indeed ON!

Oh yeah, New York is cold.

• OT: We're doing London Revolution

Back on topic (ish). A few years back some colleagues and I decided to have our December team meeting in Amsterdam (as you do) because EasyJet were doing a £5 return promo that was actually £5. Plans were drawn up, tickets purchased and hotels booked (a very cheap one behind the Central Station). A complex itinerary of pubs, clubs and shows in the red-light district was also worked out :)

We duly arrived to a strong north-easterly wind and temperatures beginning to plummet... Our intended excursion quickly deteriorated into sitting around the wood burning stove in the second bar we visited, most of the locals having decided to stay at home. We eventually braved the wind and snow to walk back to the hotel (about 3 blocks) and retired for the night. It was so cold that in the morning the sink and toilet were frozen solid and my phone showed it was -2degC in the room... the heating wasn't working (well it was a cheap hotel). Apparently it had dropped to -12degC, one of the coldest days on record in Amsterdam.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    i was snowboarding in banff, alberta in canada a few years ago and the temp went down to -37 c during the day, bright sunshine, zero wind, it was quite nice if you stood still, the moment you moved, it was like somone had your face in a bear trap.... not nice.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm off to Helsinki for the rest of the week...a balmy -12C there today.
    A few years ago worked in Montreal at the start of winter - I left when it hit -25.

(goes off to look for Dead Bunny Hat...)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I'm sure even Geordie girls would wear a jacket in a New York winter.
    No they wouldn't.
  • itboffin
    I'm back in the UK, in fact whizzing my way home right now and only wearing a t-shirt and jeans - NAILS!!!

Er btw what's up with the red sky and odd moon this morning? did some on change something whilst I was away?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    edited January 2012
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm back in the UK, in fact whizzing my way home right now and only wearing a t-shirt and jeans - NAILS!!!

Er btw what's up with the red sky and odd moon this morning? did some on change something whilst I was away?

All part of the warm up of the end for the Mayan calendar, surely. Expect to see birds dropping out of the sky next month.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    M'eh - according to the Met Office, winter is finishing today. That's about 4 days for the season!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Very odd winter so far. Makes my purchase of an Alpkit down jacket before Christmas in anticipation of the cold seem a bit pointless but maybe it will happen in February...

I worked in Germany over winter two years ago and that was bloody freezing. Didn't get above zero for weeks and one day it dropped to -11c. I went out shopping with an old wool beenie on that day but had to give in and buy a proper insulated hat after about 10 minutes.

I used to go running in the forests outside Frankfurt on the weekends for marathon training. It was great fun running in the snow (and once running I was more than warm enough in a wool base layer, gloves and hat and a windproof jacket) but said jacket used to ice up which was a bit scary and you had to get inside as soon as you stopped running for fear of your sweat freezing in your clothes.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mrc1 wrote:
    Very odd winter so far. Makes my purchase of an Alpkit down jacket before Christmas in anticipation of the cold seem a bit pointless but maybe it will happen in February...

I bought one just over a year ago.

This year I bought winter tyres for the car and a whole new bike so I could ride through snow and ice. :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Worked out at Seagram's plant in Gimli, Manitoba a few years ago - the average daytime temperature in January is a slightly nippy -19degC, with the coldest recorded at -41degC. In Scotland-shire that's barbecue weather ffs :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • itboffin
    -4 here in Windshire ....toasty :lol: