10sp cassette / freehub compatibility?

arturo_belano
arturo_belano Posts: 65
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a new whippet with a 2x10 sram x9 drivetrain - noticed the cassette seemed a little long for the freehub. After riding it for about a month the splines at the end of the freehub are pretty notched - about a third gone at each end where the smallest sprocket sits.
Anyhow, I'm replacing the wheelset for other reasons and again the cassette is sitting fairly proud on the new freehub, like this:

6701376591_cd4aa382ab.jpg
[it's a hope proII hub)

So, is something awry here or is this normal? I can tighten it down and it will no doubt be ok in the short term, but it doesn't seem right that the majority of the smallest sprocket sits out like that. Any thoughts?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    8,9,10 bodies are all the same. Try a steel body if you don't want any marks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    10 speed cassettes fit fine on to Hope Pro 2 freehubs - but they are soft and get chewed up. Is best to use a cassette with alloy carrier body like an XT.

They do sit proud like that, so the lockring can push it down.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i found this on my 9sp cassette on my pro 2.. like super said they are alloy and soft alloy at that so they score very easy. i struggled to get mine off.. a cassette with a alloy carrier should stop this.. or i think they still do them hope do a steel frehub body...
  • Thks guys. I'll tighten it down and see how she goes.
  • i have a rear hope pro 2 i just built on to a magic rim, only problem is i can't tighten the lock ring on as its 10mm and i think my lock ring tightening tool is 12mm. i had a look on CRC but i don't think anyone specifies the size of the device. what should i do ? anyone know of a tool that would work.

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    i have a rear hope pro 2 i just built on to a magic rim, only problem is i can't tighten the lock ring on as its 10mm and i think my lock ring tightening tool is 12mm. i had a look on CRC but i don't think anyone specifies the size of the device. what should i do ? anyone know of a tool that would work.

Thanks
    Err what? The lock rings are all the same except for campag ones. So any standard shimano patten one.

Or please explain what the issue actually is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It takes a fair bit of force to tighten down to spec. A lot more than some think they should. Don't know about them all, but a typical SRAM lockring should go to 45Nm. Tight enough that it should be tough to undo, on the verge of making you swear ;) (solution - long leverage. Breaker bar I use, dead easy then :D).
  • sorry, perhaps i didn't explain this properly. the tool (my tool) you use to tighten the locking has a piece of metal that goes into the hub, whilst the tool slots into the lock ring to tighten it. the piece of metal that goes into the hub fitted my formula hub 12mm width but not my hope pro 2 with 10mm width. None of the tools advertised say what size the middle metal bit is, i am guessing some come without this metal insert into the hub?

Thanks for your help

Stuart
  • nicklouse
    Most are 5mm for a qr axel. Most do not even have.
  • thanks nicklouse understood now :D