Crank & BB removal

mini-eggs
mini-eggs Posts: 811
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm rebuilding my wife's bike up with decent spec parts. I've got a a new set of deore cranks and external BB to fit, however currently on the frame are square taper cranks and BB.

Now several years ago I did have the right tools to remove these, but I don't anymore. Being this is a one off job, I don't particularly want to payout for the tools again.

Options.....
1) Does anybody know a way to improvise to get these bits off?

2) big naughty but...buy the tools, do the job and send back for refund?

3) What are the chances a local bike shop will let me borrow the tools for 10mins, I'll do the job myself, and I just give like a £5 for the trouble.
Follow me on....Google+
Shop here....eBay Shop

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You'll need the HTII tools for the future (about a tenner). But not a bad idea to to let the bikeshop take out the old BB as you can get it faced while you're there.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1 No
    2 Seriously? Do YOU enjoy being ripped off?
    3 Ask them but why should they, unless you know them. Presumably you didn't buy the parts off them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mini-eggs
    I got all the tools for HTII etc as I've got all that on my bike.

its just years ago I thought I'd never need these tools so sold them. My wife's bike is only 2009 Scott contessa, budget parts all over, but now building it into something pretty decent, hope wheels, sram x7, avid brakes etc.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • Chunkers1980
    So just take the frame along to a shop with the BB in and I'm sure they take it out for free if you get them to face the frame while you're there.
  • mini-eggs
    edited January 2012
    4th option, which might work better.

Just had a hunt on ebay, can pick up the tools a bit cheaper and wish cashback deals may even be cheaper than giving my LBS a few quid.

Might pop into the LBS tomorrow after work before deciding, see what they charge for facing.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • Chunkers1980
    You wont buy a facing tool cheap tho.