Deep Section Carbon Rims

super_prestige
super_prestige Posts: 300
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Ok then who uses deep section rims, ia m using American Classic Carbon 58`s. Only done a few hundred miles on them so far.They are taking a bit of getting use to, they really seem to change the handling of the bike not in a bad way just differfent.
As i corner down fast decents they seem to act like a gyroscope, what i meen it seems to take more effort to lean the bike over in the bends.
Also i seem to notice the wind more than ever,the bike moves around a bit although the wind seems minamal.

How do over people find them?
Building:
S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
Race:
Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    i'm also running 58mm rims and to be honest find them fine to use. I do have a 2nd bike though, and am using standard rims on this and will stick to it in wet / windy weather. A set of standard rims for winter / windy use and the 58's for summer might be a very good idea. I've not really noticed the turn in is any worse to be honest.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Same as Paul with my 50mm carbon clinchers. I expected them to be a bit of a nightmare in strong crosswinds, but they are no where near as bad as I thought they would be so have no issues going out with them when it is windy. I find they spin up much quicker than my old standard alloy low profile rims, they are noticeably quicker and the handling is just fine. They are also much, much stronger and have virtually no flex, which is a real improvement over my stock wheels.

PP