Clicking Freehub

butcher of bakersfield
butcher of bakersfield Posts: 1,233
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
The last few rides I've been plagued by a click click......click click......click click.... every revolution of the wheel. So I've had the wheel off, removed the cassette, and it's definitely the freehub - you can physically feel it jolt. The wheel itself runs smoothly.

So my question......can it be fixed?

I've never understood how to remove freehubs, if indeed you can. You must be able to :? And in this instance I don;t want to be replacing the entire wheel, as it's still in otherwise very good condition.

Anyways, the hub's a Shimano M745. Any tips?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    New freebody needed sounds like it is about to fail.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes you can replace the freehub (most of the time they are just binned rather than serviced)

You need to remove the cassette and axel and unbolt it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can probably get a whole hub as cheap or cheaper than a freehub, just take off the bits you need, and get new bearings in the deal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    You can probably get a whole hub as cheap or cheaper than a freehub, just take off the bits you need, and get new bearings in the deal.

You might be right. Just looking on Chain Reaction. £20 for the hub. £99 for a Shimano freehub body :shock:

I don't know if I want to do my first wheel build on my 'good' bike though :o So I shall look round and see if I can find any cheap free hubs first.
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:

You might be right. Just looking on Chain Reaction. £20 for the hub. £99 for a Shimano freehub body :shock:

I don't know if I want to do my first wheel build on my 'good' bike though :o So I shall look round and see if I can find any cheap free hubs first.
    Buy the hub and swap the body over. And 99 will be the wrong body.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense now I've looked again. Deore freehub bodies (which is what I'm guessing the m475 has on) are £20 everywhere. The exact same price as the entire hub. Which is a bit of a pee take...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense now I've looked again. Deore freehub bodies (which is what I'm guessing the m475 has on) are £20 everywhere. The exact same price as the entire hub. Which is a bit of a pee take...
    And you get a set of bearings for free.
  • I'd probs still use the other hub, have a go at refurbing the knackered freehub, and see if I can build a wheel! Got to learn one day.
  • One question. On Chain reaction, they have 32h and 36h. What is this - the length for 7 and 8/9 speed cassettes?
  • nicklouse
    Spoke number. Needs to be the same as your rim if you are going to build a wheel does not if you are using it for spares.
  • Cool. Thanks. Should have got that.